Michigan Pool Build

Mar 30, 2008
The pool is a 36'x18' humpback kidney, I am leaning on a 10' deep end. Same price no matter what depth.
Equipment is Sta-rite, Max e therm 333K btu heater.
Intellichlor IC-40 Salt water chlorine generator
Sta-rite filter, cartridge.
2 stage sta-rite pump.
Coping lights, as well as fiber optic pool lights
3 deck jets.
I think that is is so far,

I am going to keep up on this thread and show everyone the progress as it happens. Total scope of the job is

Ingound pool
Texture finished cement, this includes removal of paver patio, and new patio to be pored. Total about 1800 sq.ft.
Fence, aluminum or PVC not sure yet.
New swingset for the kids
12x14 pool shed, that I am building.

Today I started the removal of Paver bricks. Total bricks will be around 2000 or so. I actually sold these and the guy is coming to pick them up on Wednsday.

Garage footing will be dug Tuesday (tommorow).

We have already had 6 large oak trees cut down with the stumps remaining. I am going to try to remove the stumps with the backhoe, although I don't think is going to go very well, these trees were about 28" in diameter.

Budget, well that keeps going up, origional was $40,000, but after getting some #'s I think we will be in the $50,000 range.

So far pool is $31,000 with the equipment stated above.
Cement contractor will get back this week with some preliminary numbers, I am hoping $5-$6 per sq.ft. or less would be great!!!!!! Here are a coulp of pics so far, garage footing layout and patio to be removed... Please comment, Jesse

Attachments

• DSC01798.jpg
    DSC01798.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,162
  • DSC01801.jpg
    DSC01801.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,162
  • DSC01802.jpg
    DSC01802.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,162
Great choice Jesse! That is a really nice size pool!! :-D You may want to rent a hydraulic stump grinder, down here it cost me about $190 for the weekend and they make quick work of stumps down to about 13" below grade. Unless the tree was severely diseased, I do not think you will topple the mighty oak stumo! IMHO. Good luck on your project.
- John

I have a price of $380 to grind them, which is what I want, but we are going to put a limestone retaining wall almost direcrlty over thew stump, so i am worried it will heave in the winter, and move the wall, so I am going to try to dig them out first. After that does not go good, I will have the tree guy come in. Thanks

Hi, Rotax,

Welcome. Do you mean a full-size construction backhoe for the stump(s)? I've dug 100's of stumps with mine (Case 580L) and it's very doable but it leaves a really large hole......I mean really large....probably 6 feet across for that size tree and maybe about 2-3 deep for oaks.

If it's a smaller backhoe like attachments for a farm tractor, those big stumps may be a bit too much.

Yes a regular full size back hoe but I have decided to to dig them out becasue of relative distance from my seawall, The stumps are 15 feet from where I drove the tie backs and I really do not want to risk disturbing the tie back, because the water level is really low and I would rather not fix the sea wall again!!!!!!! I am just going to have them ground down hopefully I can ge them down 2 feet or so. I will post some pics soon, I have the footings dug for the 12x14 garage and the project has offically started, the back yard is TRASHED!!!!!

Oh and 1 more update, The cement contractor gave us a price of $7 per sq ft and estimated 1400 sq ft for what we want, not the 1600-1800 sq ft from another contractor. I am happy, it is under what we had budgeted. We signed with him, and in my opinion this guy does better work, design and finish. It will be all textured and exposed aggregate. If any of you want to view his work the web site it.

http://www.gtconcrete.com/

post pictures as it goes.

1 word of caution...keep the nails on the gray ghost cut short...i don't think a weim and liner pool is a good mix, but not one that cang be overcome with some thinking ahead. not trying to be a wet blanket, but we have a weim too, and he visited my neighbors liner pool one time (my neighbor insisted it was ok)...he promptly fell in, and spazzed out looking for a way to exit...all i could see were those big feet and nails heading toward the corner, with typical weim power and speed (right where the vinyl was nice and stretchy, like a balloon!)

I almost had heart failure on the spot, but he found the steps. that was his last pool visit. i needed a couple beers to calm down, too close for comfort! great dogs, ours always has us laughing. we are close behind you on our pool build, just on the lower half of the country.

good luck with it,

John

I do keep his nails short but they will always be long enough to casue really damage!!!!They are funny dogs, I think ours needs more attention that our 3 kids ages 4,2 and 9 mos. He is funny, and very attachted to us, has to be everywhere you are..... and when they do something wrong, it is an immediate give away when they walk around kind of looking around in an odd way. I will try to keep up on pics, not much so far but a big mud pit, Block for the garage should be up this sunday, and then the building the following sunday. Pool to be dug the 3rd or 4th week in may. It is going to get busy fast, we are hoping for party in the end of June.

well good luck with the build...as for the dog, you just described ours as well...he is turning 11 this month, but you wouldnt know it, although he just retired from sleeping with us-yes, under the covers and head on pillow much of the time. I think he finally got tired of the big jump up onto our king bed, its pretty high for an old timer. Other than that he's in great shape for a 77 year old guy. He quietly curls up with my daughter on her lower kids bed and they both seem happy, and he also has realized that maybe his dog bed on the floor isnt such a bad option. you can definitely read them like a book, a better dog I don't think you will ever find.

Ha Ha funny about him sleeping in your bed, I know mine thinks he is Human. When I finally had enough of him hogging the bed in a stern voice I tell him to go to his bed, he looks at me jumps down runs and plops down fast, like his pouting, it is quite funny. They are great dogs, Loves mthe kids and know who is ok and who is not. as long as I great new people in the drive way and he sees me shake hands, he is fine, but don't try to just walk up or into the back yard by the kids with him knowing you!!!!!!! :evil: he will let you know it is not ok.

Any way back to the pool build. 3-4 weeks seems very short. The number of things I have to do are piling up. Call the gas company to get a bigger meter, mine is only 250cfh, the heater will consume, 330, then in the fall if the house furnace kicks on the 250 is way to small.

Stumps are going to be ground, that should get done this week I hope.

Still have to call the fence contractor.

Still have to order retaining wall material.

Still have build the pool shed, which is now going to double as a Bar now. So building plans are being revised in my head right now.

Still have to re-route sump pump and down spout drains.

Still have to grade out back yard, since I pretty much destroyed it with the footing dig.

Still have to figure out new sprinkler line configuration.

I am sure I will be adding to this list.

This is supposed to be fun, I know after it is all said and done I will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tons of things to do...thanks for the gas meter comment..i need to check that myself, along with the fence contractor.

Much of what you mention is one reason why i didnt get into a pool at our old house! We started over fresh last year, and i am waiting to put all the other stuff in until the pool is done (landscape/sprinklers/shed, etc).

As for the dog, mine has surprised me a couple of times when we have people approach and surprise us...as nice as he is he does have a protective streak in him..absolutely shocked me the first time it came out, but cool to know he's got our backs. I don't think we'll ever own another breed.

2001rotax800 said:
Oh and 1 more update, The cement contractor gave us a price of $7 per sq ft and estimated 1400 sq ft for what we want, not the 1600-1800 sq ft from another contractor. I am happy, it is under what we had budgeted. We signed with him, and in my opinion this guy does better work, design and finish. It will be all textured and exposed aggregate. If any of you want to view his work the web site it.
http://www.gtconcrete.com/

Wow, some of the concrete work on that site looks incredible!!

I have signed up for an IG, breaking ground in June, and have been looking at ~350 sq.ft of pavers (interlock) to link the pool to my deck ….. but up here (Ottawa,Canada) I am looking at $20 a sq.ft installed so $7 for concrete sounds sweet.

My only concern with concrete is that I have heard after a few years the colour fades out and that it can be slippery when wet. Anyone have experience with it?

The Garage is built!!!!! We made a slight change. Cut the Garage down to a 14x7 and used the other 5x14 for an outdoor Bar. Really looking forward to using that!!!!!! One day, complete, shingled, tied in. Now just the siding remains. I was a long day, but the beer never tasted so good. Here are some pics

Ok here are the pics of the garage, Thanks for the help.

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Pool Builder was here today. Here is the layout. He said they should be digging on monday, water in on wensday. It should really start moving now. Hopefully the cement guy can get here the following week. We ordered 45 ton of Mocha Mint limestone for the retaining wall, and selected a Fence contractor. Looks like the pool will be in before the garage is sided. Oh well atleast it is built, and we don't have to deal with all the saw dust. Enjoy the pics. :lol:

DSC01856.jpg

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

Well Here we go, excavter shows up tomorrow. Hole should be dug and walls up. I will be sure to post pics. Weather looks Great, we should have water by wednesday. Pictures are a great way to remember how everything was assembled, plumbing, electrical, ect.

Monday saw a lot of Progress!!!! Hole was dug, Panels Set, Plumbing set. Ready for the cement footing to be poured on tuesday(today). They are also planning on putting down the Pool Krete since it is supposed to rain tommorow. Here are the pics.
DSC01865.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

DSC01867.jpg

DSC01875.jpg

DSC01886.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.