Small Brown Stains Just Appeared After Lawn Service?

Jul 14, 2011
Hi all - yesterday I had a medium sized tree pulled from my backyard along with having the stump removed (through a grinder process). The tree was originally about 15 feet away from my pool.

Upon coming home from work to check out the job, I looked at my pool and there were a ton of small brownish (even rusty looking) spots on that side of the pool closest to the where the tree was removed, appeared to be a splatter pattern that got less frequent as you moved to the halfway point of the pool. These spots were not there before.

Any what could cause this? My krauler running all night seemed to have lessened the effect on the pool floor but the stairs still look pretty bad...

I was not able to brush them off yesterday afternoon with a few minutes of effort...however the floor ones appeared to fade somewhat overnight, not sure if that is the rewult of my krauler running over the area all night

Don't know what it is. Can you post pics. You need to identify the stain before you can figure out how to get rid of it. If you have a tri-chlor puck you can hold it on there for a few minutes and see what it does. If it removes or lightens it, your stain is organic and can usually be removed with elevated levels of chlorine.

If that doesn't work, crush vitamin C tablets, put then in a sock and hold them on the stain. If it removes or lightens it, the stains are metal and you may need an ascorbic acid treatment

Organic stains will go away on their own in a couple of days as long as your pool is properly chlorinated. If they don't go away, it is probably some sort of metal. As maxepr1 mentioned, the fact that they appeared after a landscaping company came onto the scene makes me think of iron bits from fertilizer.

I'm new here, but an old pool owner. I'd bet they fertilized with iron and some dropped into the pool. I've done it before. It'll stain your deck, sidewalks, you name. The bags themselves will warn to wash off concrete etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.