1st Test Results, cover still on. Now what?

Oct 18, 2007
Cedar Hill, TN
Well, I can;t wait to get started!!!

Last year we finally closed with the BBB method, now the weather is getting warmer and I want to get going on the pool. We are in Tennessee & I'm sure that there will be one more freeze for a day or two, plus I would like to wait for the oak seeds to get out of the way before taking the cover off.

But I just had to test the water in order to know what's going on underneath.

Our pool is 15 x 30 AG
Here are the readings
Temperature: 60
0 FC
.5 TC
.5 CC
7.8 PH
180 ALK
200 - 210 CH
0 CYA

We still have to get sand for our filter. It was dumped out after the baquacil conversion.
Can I put a floater with some 3" pucks under the water to keep it from starting to turn green?
Or do I need to get the sand & start the pump right away?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

With the water getting up around 60 degrees it might be good to put a floater in. You want to tie it off somehow so that it sits near the center of the pool. If it gets too close to a wall it might concentrate the chlorine too much given that the pump is off. Your PH and alkalinity are both high and CYA is low so adding some trichlor (used in floaters) is just about ideal for now.

You and Jason are on the same page and I'm with you both. Some trichlor pucks for now and then, when the cover comes off, circulate and retest. You have a good grasp of your pool water chemistry and are in for a summer of clear water!! Nice work!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.