Road to recovery

Apr 23, 2012
Hey new to the forum and the BBB method. I just found the website about a week ago and after reading through what I could a couple times to digest the info I decided to give this a try as the pool store method has recently cost me 400-500 dollars to try and clear up an algae problem.

At this point I have the algae dead I believe it was a yellow/mustard algae from what I can gather. The pool is blue but extremely cloudy. I've been at this step once before, last week, thinking my problem was over for it rear its ugly head again.

here is the basic info for my pool:
in-ground white plaster 22k gallons with a canister filter system.
test results provided by pool store tonight ( i ordered one of the recommend test kits from the website and am waiting on its arrival)

free chlorine, total, combines chlorine all zero
ph 7.2
hardness 340
alkalinty 100
cyanuric acid 30
copper and iron 0
total dissolved solids 950
phosphate 100ppb

to overcome the lack of chlorine I added 4 gallons of 12% tonight.

Any thoughts on what I need to do. Thanks for the help and I'm looking foward to getting away from the pool store drug dealers

Welcome!!!

At this point I would say just wait for your good test kit (which did you order?) and then post a full set of results.

While waiting review the shocking process in pool school as ir is probably a good idea to go through it to ensure everything is indeed dead.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I used the pool calculator and based on my chlorine levels of 0, to bring them up to the 23ppm saturation lvl( for yellow/mustard algae) it recommended 528 oz of 12 % which is what i put in, did i do something wrong?

For a CYA of 30, 23ppm is a little high. Looks like maybe you put CYA of 40ppm into the calculator to arrive at the 528oz of 12% to get to FC of 23 ... or you had the pool size at the top incorrect. Not that big of a deal ... just make sure things are setup correctly to give you the correct dosages.

You also probably do not need to be raising to the Mustard Shock level unless the shock process at normal shock level is not working after you get your test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.