Deciding on test kit

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
Hello!
I'm a frustrated Baquacil user (haven't had many of those here, have you?) who had a great pool almost two seasons, before getting overrun by Pink Mold at the end of last year. And my pool budget is darn near gone due to the INCREDIBLY expensive chemicals.
Anyway, I've been looking at forums for expert advice, found yours through poolforum.com, and I'm ready to try chlorine. My question is, will your test kit give me all I need for doing our own chlorine (I'm thinking about SWG or else the BBB method)? I was looking at the Taylor kits, but do you have a link and/or any other info. you could provide that could help me along my 'newbie at chlorine' path towards self-testing?
Do you sell the kits from this site, or another site?
Thanks!!!

Todd, you've made a common mistake. While we do make a lot of mention here of the TF Test Kit, they are not owned or sold by TFP. Most of us just happen to think it's the best residential kit on the market.

You'll want to direct questions to duraleigh (Dave Smith) over of www.tftestkits.com

His site gives a full description of the kit, which will do all the tests you'll need to maintain a chlorine pool.

I recommend reading the Stickies, starting with this one:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=2375

As far as performing the actual tests, they are very simple and Dave's kit comes with a full set of instructions, plus you can always come back here to ask questions.

Sean

This post lists the contents of the TF100 kit from tftestkits.com and compares it with the Taylor K-2006 you can see here. The best price I've seen for the Taylor K-2006 kit is here which makes it comparable in "price per test" to the TF100 since the latter has 36% more volume of reagents for tests.

I have both tests myself. I had the Taylor K-2006 kit originally and then later bought the TF100 after it was introduced. They are both excellent kits even though a little different.

Richard

Todd, welcome to TFP!! :-D

Converting from Baq takes a good bit of bleach, a fair bit of persistence, a good test kit and patience. You've probably read some of the stuff from the Pool Forum, so are familiar with the process. Converting from Baq to chlorine (be it bleach, dry chlorine or that produced by a SWCG) is quite similar to dealing with algae, you've got to burn the stuff out by using high ppms of chlorine and stick with it, consistently and without taking a 'break' from the dosing procedure until the process is done. As such: a GOOD test kit is essential (but, then again a good test kit is essential for any pool owner who wants to properly maintain their pool!!!!!!!!) The TF kit, sold by one of the members here (duraliegh) is as good a kit as you could buy - it's functionally equivalent to the Taylor 2006-K, but the test reagents are supplied in quantities matched to how much you can reasonably expect to use (the 2006 gives the same size bottle for all tests, regardless as to whether you need 2 or 20 drops of each to do a given test). As for help with using the kit - you'll get quick and knowledgeable help from a lot of the members here (who use the kit and are familiar with it) and also from the seller, as well as other members who are pool professionals who do water testing as part of their job (though all these people would help you even if you don't get the kit available - I doubt that anyone else who sells kits would help you as much {if at all}) This site is full of people who want to help you get your pool Trouble Free, regardless as to what kind of pool you have or how you choose to maintain it (though we strongly suggest the methods we've found to be most useful/ successful).

Please read the 'stickies' to see the basics of what we advise and why we say the things we do about chemistry and keeping any pool trouble free.

Again, welcome to this forum, I hope that you can find the answers you need to 'take your pool into your own hands' :!:

Thanks!

I was typing a reply and hit something that made it go away, so if this is a duplicate, please forgive me.
Thanks for your comments and help so far; I'm going to get the TF100 (probably today), with a target of Saturday to begin opening my pool.
I LOVE the looks and 'feel' of this forum, you guys seem extremely helpful. Thanks again for your answers so far Sean, Chem Geek and Waste!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.