Idea... Dissolving CYA in the Liquidator

JayDoc

Aug 3, 2009
I'm not having much luck dissolving CYA via the sock method in front of a return... So I had the idea of dumping the CYA into the Liquidator. I figure it will sink to the bottom and dissolve over a week or so. And I won't have to worry about undissolved CYA getting lost while backwashing. Any thoughts or constructive criticism? I don't want to cause an explosion or melt my Liquidator :)

I think using the LQ would cause some other issues but I don't know for sure. They WILL dissolve in front of the return in time or, if you do not intend to backwash for a week or so, simply let the CYA get pulled into your skimmer.

Definitely do NOT put any other chemical in the liquidator other than liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite). Hypochlorites and cyanurates do not get along.

The reaction of an isocyanurate with hypochlorite can result in rapid formation of nitrogen trichloride, which at high enough concentrations will detonate spontaneously with great violence.
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/chemi ... ntentid=73

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.