AGP - Autopilot SWG OK?

Mar 29, 2008
Tennessee
I have an 18000 gal AGP with two speed pump and 300 lb sand filter. I've done the BBB method the past couple of years (thank you PoolSolutions!) and I'm ready to move to a SWG - I'm fundamentally lazy, so keeping an eye on the chlorine level has been more work than I like! I really like the Auto Pilot SC-36 system for both features and price, but I note that the Auto Pilot website lists it for IGPs only. Does it really matter? Isn't PVC pipe PVC pipe? Isn't salt water salt water? Any help will be appreciated - I'd hate to spend that much money only to discover I've made a fundamental mistake!

Doug in Tennessee

Welcome to FTP!

Yes, you can use the AutoPilot on an above ground pool. There is a slightly higher chance of corrosion, since much of the metal frame of the pool is exposed. If you have parts of the frame that get splashed regularly you will need to hose them off occasionally to prevent salt buildup. Other than that you will be fine.

Back in the days when i was installing above ground pools if the pool was supposed to be salt water we would get a bag of stainless steel screws from a pool supplier instead of the normal steel ones.

Something for you to check, otherwise they will corrode away in no time ;)

As long as your wife gives you the screws, you'll be right mate ;)

On a serious note, you would need to replace at least the screws holding the skimmer box to stainless steel ones, but i would suggest the ones holding the rails too. Of course depending on the design of your pool, because you might not have any :)

And i would suggest doing it before you switch to salt, not after they start corroding away ;)

garrard said:
Great, thanks for the input. I'll be putting my order in this evening! And I'll keep an eye on the screws - my wife assures me I already have several loose. I don't think she was talking about the pool, however!

I hope you ordered from an authorized dealer and not the Internet to save some money. If so, good luck getting warranty work done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.