Caught my first frog in pump strainer basket.

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
A few days ago a frog jumped into our pool he went right for the bottom of the shallow end. Got the skimmer pole and scooped him out. Discarded him away from the pool in some bushes. Water temp is about 80 deg and we've been swimming for a month and a half.
So this morning my wife told me she saw the frog again jump into the pool, be she said he climbed out. I need to clean the cartridge filter, when I shut the pump off, and bled off/equalized the pressure in the cartridge filter housing, I glanced down and saw a frog in the pool pump basket. He was dead, and floating back into the pool piping.
Got the filter swapped out, turned on the pump quickly, to get the dead frog back into the basket, low and behold 3 seconds later, here's froggy. Kinda gross actually. Shut off pump, take off the lid, garbage can, here I come. Rinsed out the basket, and start all over. Seven seconds later I'm reading 5 PSI on the filter housing, about 50 GPM on the flow meter. Life is good.
I'm not sure if the frog got in the system through the main drain on the bottom of the pool or if he got in through the skimmer basket when I emptied it out. (Its a floating weir style basket.) Maybe he was hiding in the tunnel, and when I removed the basket he jumped into the water and got sucked into the pump basket.
I dread the day when I find a snake in the pool or basket.

Years ago my boss had me look after his pool (backed up to golf course) while on vacation. The first time I went over there I could smell something was off. Opened the skimmer and there had to be 15 dead frogs in there. Worst part was I could not just dump them out since many of their legs were stuck in the basket ... :puker:

I had a frog get sucked from the skimmer back to the pump a couple summers ago. I'm sure it was an ugly ride for him, but he was alive. Not sure how long he lived, but he didn't look happy.

I get a few every year that get sucked from the skimmer into the pump basket.

Ive never had one die yet. Sort of a roller coaster ride for frogs :)

Last year when it happened the poor little guy was limping around after. But he managed to hop away so hopefully he was ok :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.