Pump not working-- what do do while waiting on repair

May 11, 2010
East Texas
My pump is not working correctly -- the pump itself will run but the drive (control panel) part is not working correctly and it's not coming on and off at the scheduled times nor can we override the scheduled times if needed. The drive is bad, it's under warranty, and Pentair is sending a repair tech and new drive.

In the meantime, what do I do to try to keep my pool in shape? I'm not sure how long we'll be down or how much I can rely on the pump (and thus salt cell) to work.

How do I maintain the chlorine level and keep the ph in check if no circulation?

Thanks for your help!

I am confused. Will the pump run or not? You state it runs but the control panel is bad. I am surprised there is no way to just get the pump going.

You can just use bleach to add chlorine and acid to adjust pH based on what your test show you need and the poolcalculator.com for dosages ... although neither may be a good idea without circulation.

We can get the pump going but then it shuts off outside of the scheduled/programmed times, so that's why I'm not sure how reliable it will be as in how long I can keep it running to circulate water. I cannot adjust the pump speeds either, so when it runs, it runs on a low speed.

I should've been clearer. My question has to do with what you, Jason, said: without circulation, is there anything I can do to keep it in shape? I didn't know if I could add bleach and acid without circulation.

If you happen to have a sump pump you could toss that in just to circulate the water while adding some bleach. Not sure I'd add that much at once just in case however.

I'd also use a solar cover until the pump is back up and running. Help keep some of the evaporation of the chlorine to a minimum.

edit....Ahh...so the pump does run sometimes. Then just add some bleach on your own and let the pump run for about 30 minutes to mix it in. Cover back up and let the pool take it coarse. The cover will keep much of the chlorine in for you.

Ditto what Leebo said. If the pump will run at all just dump some FC in there and let the pump run for a little while to mix it up. When that fails you can dump soem in it and use a brush to mix it up well while brushing the pool which should be done anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.