Convert from chlorine to salt???

Jul 18, 2010
I am in the initial stages of planning a remodel of our in ground pool. I am trying to decide if I want to remain using chlorine or convert to a SWG system. I have thought about adding the liqudator if I keep with chlorine, but at the same time I have been trying to research various SWG systems.

I am located in southern CA. My pool is odd in shape, I am guessing somewhere around 25-28k gallons based on the average dimensions and depth. There is no spa or any plans to add one. We will be adding a waterfall feature during the remodel.

I maintain the pool myself, and at times get so busy with the kids and all their activities that I fail to keep up on the chemicals/testing.

Looking for some insight on what direction I should go.........any suggestions on going the route of the Liquidator or a SWG system? If a SWG, what system would you recommend?

:wave: Welcome :wave:

First, realize that a saltwater pool IS a chlorine pool. The SWG just "creates" the chlorine from the salt.

Going Liquidator or SWG is kind of a toss up ... many people here love both.
If you go SWG, you want to find one sized for 1.5-3 times your pool size. For you that would mean at least a 40k cell.

Neither of them will allow you to neglect the pool, you still need to be testing FC and pH often to maintain the pool and be sure nothing is malfunctioning.

A SWG can tend to make the pH rise if your TA is on the high side requiring you to add acid to control the pH.
A liquidator requires you to still haul all the liquid chlorine.

As can be seen HERE, it is hard to say if one of the other is cheaper.

at times get so busy with the kids and all their activities that I fail to keep up on the chemicals/testing
That puts an SWG in your future. Their single biggest advantage is convenience. They will free up some of your time and it sounds like you are in need of that.

I don't have one so I'll let others chime in. It seems like the technology is pretty much identical and you mostly pay for the size of the SWG (of course) but then how many bells and whistles you want.

Are you replacing all your equipment in the remodel? Considering any automation? There is something to be said about keeping the brands consistent, like using the same manufacturer of automation and SWG.

I know Pentair extends their warranty to 3 years if you purchase 3 items at the same time.

I have had and going to install a Hayward/Goldline SWG. From my readings here, Hayward seems like a solid middle-of-the-line SWG that has been around for a while. There are some that are cheaper and there are some that have more features for more money.

Like I mentioned before, up-size your cell so it will last longer.

I currently have the Intelliflo VF, and a Quad 60 DE filter. No automation yet, but that is on my list of things to look at. I was considering the Pentair SWG to keep the brands consistent. However, I want to make sure I am buying a good quality model not just limiting myself to the Pentair name.

bduffield73 said:
I currently have the Intelliflo VF, and a Quad 60 DE filter. No automation yet, but that is on my list of things to look at. I was considering the Pentair SWG to keep the brands consistent. However, I want to make sure I am buying a good quality model not just limiting myself to the Pentair name.

Given that info I would suggest getting the Pentair automation unit (EasyTouch) that controls the SWG and your Intelliflo. I think Pentair Intellichlor SWG are one of the top choices.

BTW, the IC40 would be adequate, but the IC60 might be a little better. Also note that the Intellichlor only has 20% increments by itself, but you could gain much more control of it at a later date if you got the EasyTouch.

For me the SWG was the best invention on the planet. I hated dealing with chlorine, both tabs and liquid. I have a simple Hayward Swim Pure Plus and it works flawlessly. I bought the biggest cell and just keep it turned down to about 20%. It and the pump are on a timer and if you go on vacation you don't have to worry about not being there to add chlorine. The Ph creeps up slowly and I add a cup or so of liquid acid a week. Cheap stuff from Home Depot.

It is easy.

I agree with Brookwood. I planned an SWG into our system when we built our pool a couple of years ago, but I manually sanitized with liquid chlorine for about 6 months before I turned the SWG on.
What a difference in convenience it made when I fired it up (Hayward SWG). I have gone on vacation for a week and come home to a sparkly pool in perfect balance (maybe a little acid needed).
Highly recommended!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I too love SWG. I actually bought an Aussie system....which used more salt than the standard U.S. built systems. My system is the CompuChlor 40K system, with self cleaning cell. It uses 5600ppm of salt...but I have had absolutely ZERO issues with it, and keep it turned way down as it really cranks out the chlorine. I've had it operating 3 seasons now. With the self cleaning feature I have NOT had to de-scale the cell yet.

Dan

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome :wave:

First, realize that a saltwater pool IS a chlorine pool. The SWG just "creates" the chlorine from the salt.

Going Liquidator or SWG is kind of a toss up ... many people here love both.
If you go SWG, you want to find one sized for 1.5-3 times your pool size. For you that would mean at least a 40k cell.

We're in the preliminary stages of putting in our first pool. I see that you recommend an SWG rated for 1.5-3 times the pool size. We are looking at a pool of about 15,000 gallons. I believe there are SWG's rated for 15,000 gallon pools, and that is what I was thinking of going with. What would be the problems of not "over-sizing" the SWG?

Thanks.

They are typically rated to be run 24/7 for the size recommendations.

It has been found that oversizing the cell and then being able to run on a lower setting makes the cell last longer ... more than offsetting the extra cost of the bigger cell.

Cells seem to typically last 3-5 years, but a smaller cell that runs more may be even shorter.

For 15k pool I recommend at least get a ~25k cell.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.