Low PH and damage

piku

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 12, 2008
Hatfield, PA
Hello guys, in rescuing my dirty pool and bringing it back to life I used muriatic acid to reduce the ph to 7.2 and then trichlor tabs seems to have further reduced it to 6.8. It's been like that a couple of days (which I honestly thought would be okay) but this morning I noticed my main drain bubbling and it seemed to want to suck air from it. If I broke the main drain, fine, but I was curious about the damage from incorrect ph. Does it happen in minutes, hours, days, months, etc. Should I get my wife to go buy some borax right away or do I have until after work. I probably should have handled this yesterday but I was too busy working on other things. I also kind of thought it would rise on it's own as was indicated to me. I've aerated it for several hours on multiple days.

Note: FWIW it seems from my googling that low ph would tend to affect metals mostly of which I'm not sure there are any in my water right now (no ladders, railings, etc). Just the pool light. I don't know if the pump impeller is plastic or not.

Low PH can shorten the life of the liner and erode metal parts in the plumbing, most commonly copper heat exchangers in heaters. If your PH is just a little below 7.0 then this happens very slowly call it months. If it is way lower, say 6.0, it can happen much more quickly, call it days. I don't see any likely way the main drain could have been affected. They are normally made from PVC, which doesn't care about low PH.

*sigh* (of relief!). After all the work I did the last week I don't want to ruin it. My main drain seems problematic and I am starting to have a feeling about it, but that's for another thread :) I'll just correct the ph when I get home tonight. Thanks Jason :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.