Fence: 5/3/08
Rake and Seed: 5/6/08
Prepare for Plaster (cleanup): 5/8/08
Fence Inspection: 5/9/08
Plaster: 5/15/08
Water: 5/15/08 - 5/16/08
Startup: 5/17/08
Final Inspection: 5/20/08

Last fall we decided that it was time to put in a pool. The kids were old enough now and the timing worked out good. We knew we wanted an in ground pool, but beyond that we didn't have a clue. I did a bunch of research (from here and elsewhere) and started doing some simple drawings. We interviewed pool builders in late Fall and narrowed it down to 2 builders. After some simple haggling we selected a builder in early January. We picked this builder based on comfort level, experience, and vision. Price was close enough that it didn't really factor in. We selected a local non-national builder as I felt they would have better service and response. So far this has worked out great.

Over a couple of weeks, we worked through some designs, sticking pretty close to my original designs. We made a couple of placement changes due to set back regulations. We had originally wanted to have a waterfall (to match the waterfall we have in the pond), but after costing it out we decided not to do it. It would have also taken away the ability to walk completely around the pool.

Once the design was pretty much finalized, the permits were submitted. They came back in about a week, approved. We then settled in for the wait. We figured it would start sometime in April. We were wrong (see next post).

Below are the pool specs and equipment.

Pool Specs:
Sq Ft: 600
Length: 18x40 (18x48 including shelf and bench)
Shape: Custom (almost a kidney)
Depth: 3’, 4’, 6’
Plaster: Grey
Love Seat: 6’ Deep End
Sun shelf: 8’x6'
Tile: Frost line, steps
Pipe: 2” PVC
Deck: 650’ Exposed Aggregate
Skimmers: 2
Returns: 2

Equipment:
Pump: Pentair WhisperFlo 1½ HP
Filter: Pentair FNS Plus 48 D.E. Filter
Control System: Goldline P4
Chlorine: SWCG Goldline TurboCell
Heater: Undecided. If we do a heater, it'll be a heat pump.
Valves: Jandy Neverlube
Light: (2) Colorlogic LED
Cleaner: Pentair Legend (3/4 hp Booster)
Winter Cover: Loop-Loc

Here's my latest revised drawing. This is pretty close to the final design. I'm still working on the landscaping. It'll probably wait until everything is done and then I'll visualize it.

PoolDesign.jpg

Excavation - 3/24/08

At around 6:00pm on Friday (3/21/08 ) I got a call from the Pool Builder. They had an opening in the schedule and he asked if I'd like to have the hole dug Monday. Umm, sure, go ahead. I wasn't quite ready (had to move a couple things), but I was able to get everything out of the way over the weekend.

Here's a couple of "before" pictures. I started taking down a stone brick wall and desided to snap a couple of pictures first.

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

Here are the pictures after excavation:

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

J4,

Nice looking pool and you've done a lot of homework. I know you didn't solicit this advice but that never stops me!! :lol: :lol:

You pump looks a little too large for the pool and filter. With 40-50 feet of head, can you find the pump curve and see how much gpm that pump delivers?.....probably around 100+gpm. Somewhere a little less than 75 might be more appropriate and save you some money.

Gunite: 3/28/08

Here's the gunite pictures. They were scheduled to gunite Friday, but rain threatened (but never happened), so they did it Saturday instead. Worked out great because the kids got to watch (me being the biggest kid). Very cool process to watch happen. the skill these guys had was amazing.

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

You guys are to quick. I was still posting pictures! :)

Dave S, I posted another thread a while ago asking about the equipment. A couple of people mentioned the pump size being a little large, so you're not alone in that thinking. I'm going to revisit it with the pool builder soon. Thanks.

Belldiver said:
I'm in the middle of a build too. What is the "beach" on the left side of the pool there? Or is that just a bench?
It's a bench. I wanted a place in the deep end to swim out easily. I thought about doing a beach on the right side, but decided to do a sun shelf (about 8" of water) instead with steps.

John

Plumbing is scheduled to be done today or tomorrow. Most likely tomorrow as it's rainy today. Electric is scheduled for Thursday.

We met with 2 fence people yesterday. Both use the same fence company, so they were easy to compare.

The first guy showed up late (I was on lunch break). He came in cheaper, but I didn't get a good "feeling" about him. He also way over estimated the footage and ignored my drawing.

The second guy was on time (evening). He looked over the drawing and when he measured he came very close to my numbers. He was a little more money because we had a better coupon for the other guy.

I've learned to trust my gut feelings. Right now, we're going to go with the second guy even though it's a little more money. I'll probably interview one more person though.

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Rob.

No new pics yet. This was a slow week. We did pick a fencing company finally, so the fence has been ordered. The PB said tiling might be done this week, but nothing yet.

Well lookie there. Tiling guys just showed up. They planned to come yesterday, but weather people said rain. It was a beautiful day...So now they get to work on Sunday. I should have some pictures soon. Probably not today (Sunday) though. My son is having his 5th birthday party today (at Chuck-e-Cheese) and I'm not sure I'll recover enough to snap some pictures. ;)

I just noticed your thread, so I'll jump on over there now.

John

Tiling - 4/13/08

Here's the tiling pictures. Nothing fancy. My choice got over ridden by my wife and daughter, but I like the look of this. the accent (steps) still needs to be done, but they wait until just before plaster to do that.

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2270.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

4-23-08 Decking started

They laid out the frame for the decking yesterday. Also added the crushed stone and did the bonding. They will pour the concrete Monday, rough grading Tuesday, and fence Wednesday. Weather permitting of course. It came out to 650 sq ft of decking. 3' around the pool and decent patio area. The rest of the area next to the patio I'm going to have grass sod. This will give us even more "lounge" room.

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

John

I've been following your pool build and I must say, I can't wait to see the finished product! It looks great!

Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.