Waters' Pool Build - Jamison, PA (pics)

Thanks Rob. After the initial flurry, it slows way down and seems to be taking forever. I just keep telling myself that I won't be swimming until the end of May, if then. If it gets done before then, and it looks like it might, then it's just going to be teasing me.

As you know, we got rain Monday, so the deck wasn't poured until today. I went home for lunch and everything is poured and they were just taking the frames down and cleaning up. They come back tomorrow to wash and seal it.

Rough grading is set for Thursday and the fence Friday. We'll see if that schedule keeps. Rake/seed and sod are schedule for next week.

After the fence goes in, we'll need to do a final township inspection. Then the plaster and water.

John

I was going to snap some pictures last night, but had to straighten out a issue with backfill dirt with the landscaper and PB. Everything came together (or will), but it took a couple of calls. It's amazing that with all the dirt they hauled away that I'm coming up short now. :?

Anyway, everything is covered with plastic, so you wouldn't be able to see much yet. I'll snap some pics tonight.

John

reef n ale said:
Broken camera, John??? :p hehe...

What's going on?
Just uploaded pics to post. I was a little de-motivated by my rough grading experience. I did snap the pics though, so here they are. I need to snap new ones after tomorrow though. I'm a little further with the landscaping than is shown in these pictures.

John

Decking - 04-30-08

Here are the decking pictures. It was poured on 4/29 and was finshed and sealed on 4/30. We love the look, but it is rough on the feet. PB claims he warned us, but neither myself or my wife remember that. It's funny though, because it's the same decking that's on the cover of his folder! I've scraped it with a spade shovel (to remove the small shape stones)and that seems to have helped a lot. It looks so good that we'll live with the roughness.

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

John

Rough Grading - 5/1/08

Rough grading happened on 5/1. The pics above include that. Now the story.

After the deck was put in, then had to remove the top layer to expose the aggregate. This normally wouldn't be a problem, if they had covered everything. They didn't. So they got this gritty mud everywhere. Idiots! I could live with that though. They'd just have to come back to clean it up. The problem is that they didn't even cover my POND! A living eco-system that's delicately balanced! When I came home, I saw nothing but muddy water. I was beyond mad. I didn't have time to call and yell at anyone because I need to get in there and get it cleaned up. I'll skip ahead a couple days to say that all 25 fish survived, including some small babies that I was really worried about. If the fish had died, I would have probably been in jail for putting someone in the hospital.

On 5/1 they did the rough grading. Now, from the first interview I was extremely clear as to what I wanted and made it very clear that surprises (in the way of more money) was a very bad thing to happen. I told everyone to give me the real number, even if you had to pad it a little. It turns out that the PB didn't plan the fill dirt properly. The PB trucked in a load of dirt, but it was nowhere near enough. They didn't leave enough dirt from the dig! The PB claims that he didn't have the room to leave the dirt, but that's complete BS. Look at the pictures. Does it look like I don't have room for a bigger dirt pile?

So I called him up and told him he need to bring more dirt. No can do. He's brought as much as he can. He claims it's enough to do the rough grading. Maybe in some fantasy world where you don't understand what a grassed lawn is used for. With the dirt he left, we'd be rolling down a hill. Anyway, the landscaper, who has been absolutely great, worked with me and brought in 3 more truck loads. He only charged me for 2 and ate the gas on all 3 loads. He will be getting more business from me (starting with my front mulching tomorrow :))! So I'm out $600 for dirt! I had plenty of dirt! I don't even think it's about the cost at this point. The PB lost a reference because of a load of dirt (I would have split it with him). Go figure.

While I had him on the phone, and after he said no, I laid into him. Basically, stuff I had been letting slide was no longer going to be. After I got off the phone, I was ready to pay him a little visit. Now, it probably seems like I'm a hot head at this point, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I don't get angry. Ask anyone and they'll say they've never seen me angry. If I do get angry (and it take a lot), watch out. I had my keys in hand (I'm missing work at this point), but my wife and neighbor calmed me down. My wife just kept talking to me and my neighbor brought over a case of beer. :D

Well, I've calmed down now (it took a while) and I'm sure I've completely over reacted. I've left out some small little things, but they all built and I blew up. I'm better now (he says while drinking a beer).

Anyway, everything has turned out OK, thanks mainly to the landscaper. Up next, the fence.

John

Fence - 5/2/08

The fence was installed on 5/3/08. I supervised the install and after a few mistakes, everything was installed properly. They did need to bring in a jack hammer once (it's very rocky here), but I wasn't worried because I had them strike out the hard digging clause before signing. Nice, fun Mexican crew. They did a good job, even with a crazy (big) white boy watching them while playing in the pond (still cleaning up!). Here are some pictures.

IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
crabboy said:
Pool looks great so far. $600 for dirt? you have precious metals in your dirt up there? I think I had over 15 trucks of dirt and never paid any extra for it.
I know, it's crazy. They must have hauled away 20 loads when digging the pool. Maybe I should try to sift the dirt to see if I can find something. ;)

One thing I forget to mention is that the fence came in $800 lower than estimate (the estimate was 190' and it actually came to 167')

John

You mean he couldn't find room to dump the dirt and let it sit beyond the shallow end? :roll:

Your pool and fence looks great! Hopefully it'll be easy floating here in a couple weeks!! With lotsa beer! :wink: 8)

Thanks Casey and Grace.

Landscaper was here today. Did the rake and hydro seed as well as put down sod is certain spots. Looks great. now I just need to keep watering it. We'll be away this weekend, but I'd get someone to do it.

We still have to figure out what plants will go where (I work for Burpee Seed, so I have access to pretty much anything) and mulch certain areas. Speaking of mulch...I had them mulch the front landscaping while they were here. There was a 5 yard min, but the front should have taken 3-4 yards. I told them to just leave the extra. Well, either their yard is much bigger than I'm used to or they over delivered because I have a huge pile left. The did a good job in the front, so I'm guessing they just gave me extra. There's no chance that I'll use even half the pile for the back yard. I'll probably end up giving it away or storing it in the woods.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures, but will try tomorrow.

John

Looks beautiful so far! The aggregate is so nice to look at but yeah, depending on the wash it can be really rough. We actually were supposed to get a 'light aggregate' with ours and it wound up being just acid washed. I'm in the process now of getting estimates for grinding. My husband thinks it's too plain, but he was against the exposed from the beginning because of the texture. I told him you can't have it both ways!

That was nice of your landscaper to help you out with the dirt. It is ridiculous that you had to bring more in. :? Don't let guilt set in about thinking you overreacted. These are professionals and we pay them a lot of money! I know what you mean about stuff building up. I kind of blew up this morning at the gate people. I later apologized and tipped them. They're just installers, not their fault. I waited 3 wks. for the co. to remake it because the first one was beyond fixing, and this one is wrong, too. At least they installed it so I can have my inspection tomorrow, but they'll have to come back out and fix it.

So here's to hoping it's smooth as can be from here on out :cheers:

John, from what I saw, everything are looking great. Here is a little consolation on your decking. Here in Malaysia, it's very common to fing your kind of decking in our numerous residential parks. It's call foot massage walk. It started with aggregate your size to something 20 times bigger.

The beginers will walk on the finer ones and as they gained more experience, they move up the bigger aggregates. They do wonders to your feet if they are aching or fatigue. Will be uncomfortable in the begining, but soon you'll enjoy it (but will always be no fun to run on). You may even find guest coming just to walk on your decking instead of jumping in....

Vincent

vincent said:
John, from what I saw, everything are looking great. Here is a little consolation on your decking. Here in Malaysia, it's very common to fing your kind of decking in our numerous residential parks. It's call foot massage walk. It started with aggregate your size to something 20 times bigger.

The beginers will walk on the finer ones and as they gained more experience, they move up the bigger aggregates. They do wonders to your feet if they are aching or fatigue. Will be uncomfortable in the begining, but soon you'll enjoy it (but will always be no fun to run on). You may even find guest coming just to walk on your decking instead of jumping in....
Thanks Vincent! Wow, never thought of it like that. My wife has been having feet problems, so wait until I tell her this! :) Very cool.

John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.