Putting down sand for AGP

gayler

Apr 4, 2009
Lakin Ks
I've heard some people putting a couple inches of sand under there pool, but I was thinking of building a 2x4 railing up sort of like you would form up to pour concrete, and then filling it with masonry sand. The form would keep the sand from shifting. Would this be a good idea?

No, I would not. You can acheive a very nice " safety net" for your masons sand with a plastic vapour lining duct taped to the inside wall about 13" up and laying down the bottom. Any additional bulk edges and hardware inside the wall without nice slopes is one more thing your liner was never manufactured to conform to. Why all that work and wood when the plastic works perfectly?

NWMNMom said:
No, I would not. You can acheive a very nice " safety net" for your masons sand with a plastic vapour lining duct taped to the inside wall about 13" up and laying down the bottom. Any additional bulk edges and hardware inside the wall without nice slopes is one more thing your liner was never manufactured to conform to. Why all that work and wood when the plastic works perfectly?

Can you tell me more about the vapor lining? I am still researching which AGP to buy and learning all I can before the boxes arrive. I did not see any info on this idea elsewhere? Are you taping the plastic so the sand is under or sand on top of it?

Don't know if I should start another thread or not. Just wondering if my plan will work. Here's what I'm considering. Had a 12 ft. round pool and now will be getting a 12'x24'x53". I plan to construct a box with 2x6. fill with a couple inches class A tamped down. Then top up with sand and tamp down. This is what the locals tell me is the best idea. I have also come up with the idea of covering this with plywood, and then outdoor carpet. Pool will be taken down every fall. So, is this a good idea, bad idea, waste of money, just perfect, or unnecessary!! Thanks for any advice.
GC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gravel screenings...are basically what's left AFTER you take all the large gravel stones, pebbles and such away..you are left with a "sandy" type of material known as gravel screenings. They use it in alot of hardscaping with pavers, patio stones, etc as the base..because they can level it out and pack it down firmly.

Same stuff is great for the base of a AGP pool...you can level it, work it easily with rakes and shovels, and then you can dampen it down and compact it so it's a nice hard, firm surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.