New Pool Owner - Please Help

While you are doing all the above to get rid of alge, the root of your problem is your SWG. It is not sensing any (or enough) water flow. The pump must be pumping water through your system for the SWG to generate chlorine. Make sure that the wires to the flow sensor and to the control box are not damaged and that the end is plugged into the box completly (maybe unplug it and plug it back in a couple of times to ensure a good connection and check for corrosion). If wires are ok, check the sensor itself to make sure that there is nothing blocking it (pull it out and check the ports) You might also try and clean it. 6.5 Flow/Temp/Salinity Sensor Cleaning
One time per year or as needed. It is rare but scale formations on the Flow/Temp/Salinity Sensor sometimes
occur and will affect the accuracy of the salinity test.
1. Remove Flow/Temp/Salinity Sensor from the threaded PVC Tee or 3-Port Cell by turning
counterclockwise or removing the union nut.
2. Brush with a mildly abrasive green fi ber household cleaning pad. Contacts should be clean and bright.
3. Thoroughly rinse the Flow/Temp/Salinity Sensor with clean tap water. Replace and resume normal
operation.
4. Turn power off and back on in order to recalibrate and reset Flow/Temp/Salinity Sensor. Reset
anytime Flow/Temp/Salinity Sensor is unplugged.
If that all fails I would replace the sensor.
You can get a replacement sensor for 150.00 to 200.00 on ebay.
Good luck!

Ok, checked my levels again this morning and was at 14 FC so I added ~400 more oz of bleach.

One question, shouldn't my CYA level be close to the same as it was yesterday? I got a reading of 70 this morning so I'm wondering it's just inconsistency in my testing or if it cas really change that fast?

Did you add anything that would raise the CYA? If not, i would guess it was testing error differences ... maybe due to different lighting?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

The only thing I added was bleach and salt. I tested in the same way both times. One question about the CYA TF-100 test... When viewing the black dot, should you do the viewing standing up straight or do you get close to the tube with your eye and strain to see the dot? sounds funny I guess, but could make a difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hold tube at waist level with your back to the sun ... as I recall. I think this is explained in the extended test instructions sticky.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I finally got my new flow sensor installed after ordering the adapter cable etc... I installed it and it made my "General Fault" errors go away on my Jandy handheld. A couple days had gone by since I had installed and and hadn't had a chance to test my water until last night. I tested it and FC=0. Initially I was irritated and assumed my salt cell itself was bad since I had zero FC. Then I decided to put it into BOOST POOL mode for 24 hours and see if I could get a FC reading. I tested this morning and, BINGO! I got a FC of 4. So that confirms that my salt cell is working so that is a relief.

My question is, how do I know what % to set the Jandy Aqua Pure at to maintain an ideal FC level? It was set at 25% for 2 days and registered 0 FC. Is it just a matter of playing with it until I find what's right for my pool/area?

Thanks!

Yup. You have 2 controls ... the pump run time and the percentage setting {which is the % of a time period (i.e. 20 minutes) the cell is generating}. There are combinations that would generate the same amount of chlorine, for example:
pump on 10 hours @ 25% would have a cell on time of 2.5 hours
pump on 5 hours @ 50% would also have a cell on time of 2.5 hours.

You just have to adjust them until you get the appropriate amount of FC. Start high and then lower it until the level is correct.

Test your FC everyday until you get it dialed in. I would run the FC at the high for a few days since you were at zero FC. You might even decide to shock the water for a day and run the OCLT just to be sure no algae started. It would be easier to kill off this early than to let it brew for some time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.