Bonita Springs, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
When I close the valve to the skimmer and only use the main drain, the pump basket does not fill up and I'm getting quite a bit or air in the filter; I can purge the filter and come back 30 minutes later and air is in the filter. I do not have a separate valve for the main drain and skimmer; it's controlled with a Jandy 3-way valve.

If I open the skimmer valve completely and partially close the main drain, the pump basket fills and very little air is in the filter.

I've tightened the skimmer lid, pump ports but no change.

The suction plumbing is 1.5"; is the pump not getting enough water with only the main drain open?

You most likely have an air leak under higher suction than normal and when you close the skimmer the suction goes up and it leaks in air. Basket o-ring, drain plugs, etc. Should be checked and the o-ring lubed.

What about lubing the o-rings for the 3-way valves; they are never-lubes, but I was wondering about the cover o-rings and shaft o-rings. I did lube/tighten the basket lid and drain plugs.

Should I buy a bunch of O-ring kits or just try lubing them first? Are there any telltale signs that the O-rings are failing other than the obvious? None of the valves are leaking water on the pads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.