Pump Maybe Bad ?

MisterMister

LifeTime Supporter
Hello to all,

I just started up my pool pump on Saturday, and found that the pump was seized up. Basically producing a fairly loud hum, with the motor getting very hot. I de-installed the pump with the intention of getting it repaired or replaced. But after I had the motor off of the pump head, I attempted to spin the shaft. It was "stuck" to some degree at first but did spin with some resistance. And began to spin more freely the more it was spun. So, I re-installed the motor to the pump head, rewired and the pump seem to run fine, after an initial 2 sec of squeal. I did a backwash, mostly due to just replacing the sand in the sand filter, and it seemed to function ok. I did a rinse the then to filter. At this point, I need to say that I also have just installed an Auto Pilot SWG, which may or may not be relevant. So, while on filter and producing 16lb of pressure, bearly any water gets jetted to the pool. Just a very little. I do see a small amount of water going through the bypass on the Auto Pilot manifold, and I guess is the small amount getting to the pool. I'm not sure what my issue is. Could the pump be bad and only running at part speed? I "sounds" ok, but ??? Any ideas?

Older pumps can do things like that. Probably the lubricant ran down to one side. That would cause some resistance on the un-lubricated side. Once the pump got going the lubricant would be spread around properly and everything will be fine.

If there is water going through the AutoPilot bypass then there must be 20 GPM going through the manifold. So you should have more than 20 GPM getting somewhere. That is a fairly substantial flow. Is there anywhere else it could be going, another return perhaps?

No, nowhere it could be going. It is a pool contained system. No attached spa or anything of that nature. I almost want to un-plumb the Auto Pilot temporarily, or plumb in some type of bypass to see it it may be the issue, but that seems a little extreme. Honestly, it's one of the weirdest things. I think I understand the water must be going somewhere, the pump doesn't seem to sound "overloaded". I was thinking maybe the pump was degraded and maybe pumping at "half speed". The back wash "seems" to be good, the the backwash has almost no resistance. Maybe I can remove the manifold portion of the Auto Pilot and maybe cap it as a test, OR as I remember, stop the water flow at the manifold filter with a zip lock bag or something to test flow. Maybe do a little more trouble shooting. Any other ideas?

You could have a broken pipe underground.

One simple test is to remove the AutoPilot manifold at the unions, remove the filter screen, and turn on the pump for a moment. You should get a giant jet of water coming out. If so the pump is obviously working.

You have good filter pressure, so there isn't any suction side blockage.

Ouch, I hope not, but I'll try that out. I guess if it does turn out to be a broken pipe, the best way to fine it is to let it pump for a while and find the wet spot, and start digging. :cry: From the other water test thread, I don't guess I need the water anyway. That's a tough bright spot. I just hate to dig up my yard, but you got to do what you got to do.

If it does turn out to be a broken pipe, I guess it better to shovel dig versus back hoe did, due to additional pipe damage by the back hoe. Just thinking out loud.

Just curious, what would cause an underground pipe to break. It could not be due to freezing here in Alabama, doesn't get that cold here. Just wondering.

Jason, thank you so much for your help.

I would suspect the pump more than a broken pipe. That it WAS locked and squealed (bearings?) upon startup would seem to point to the pump.

The resultant symptoms are puzzling, tho. A simple test would be to shut off ALL the returns completely to the pool and turn on the pump. You should probably get around 35psi which is about all a constant speed pool pump can produce. If you get some number approaching that, you can at least know your pump is operating normally and can then search elsewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MisterMister said:
I don't have a cutoff valve to do that. But hey, I can always drop one in.

I LOVE that attitude :party: !!!!

The 'off' position on the multiport is probably labeled 'closed' - if you don't have that option, you could always plug the returns and briefly fire up the pump. As long as we're playing with the multi - if you have a 'recirc' position, you can turn it to that and see how the flow is (this will take the filter out of the equation).

One last thought, does the pressure gauge go to 0 when the pump is off?

Please keep us abreast of developments -- you've piqued my curiosity :wink:

You know, one hates to admit ones stupidity. I think I've met my stupid quota for the past few days (Maybe couple months). Ok, Ok, this is how it went yesterday evening testing to find the cause of my "non pumping" pump.

1. Set filter valve to recirculate. Showed "little pumping", about the same as filter.
2. Remove Auto Pilot manifold and started pump. The thing looked like Old Faithfull. Pumped very well.
3. Set filter valve to closed and started pump. Pressure showed 30 pounds, nice.
4. Set filter valve back to filter, pumping volume still appeared low.
5. Scratch head above right ear and said hhmmmm.
6. Light appeared (in my mind) at a distance and came closer.
7. :shock: Ding Ding Ding. :shock: It was suddenly very obvious. The water was high in the pool and the returns didn't appear to be pumping up to speed, due to them being deeper in the water. I've gotten used to "judging" water pressure by the look of the jet water pressure in (on top of) the pool. My pressure valve has not worked for a couple years (recently replaced). I'm normally on top of pool water level, needing to pump some off a few times over the winter. But with the drought here in the southeast, I haven't had to do that this winter. But the water lever is high.

SO, I apologize for all of the wasted brain power of this group, that could have been used elsewhere. But as usual, all of your help is GREATLY appreciated.

A few years ago, I assumed I had fixed a wiring problem on my riding mower but it died on me during mowing.

Too big to haul back to the garage, I spent the next few hours hauling tools down to the mower and going over and over my repair to see what I had missed........I could find absolutely nothing wrong with my repair and was about to call in an expensive technician.....then, I PUT SOME GAS IN IT BECAUSE IT WAS EMPTY and it ran fine.

I understand completely about overlooking the obvious!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that Dave. I feel some better now. :-D

I'm pretty much a techy type person. My wife tells me I sometimes overlook the obvious. I used to not believe her, but sometimes ..... . .

Thanks

By the way, I love the test kit. It is empowering to know what the water chemistry actually it, and have the people here to back it up. Thanks. I know its kind of corky, but after slowly getting irritated with pool care over 9 years due to lack of knowledge and blindly following the pool store guidance, this year I anxious to get it started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.