Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie from Malaysia

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie from Malaysia

Hi everybody,

I am not exactly new here (2 months old) but I did things the other way and during the mist of my confusion and anxiety, I overlooked the need for my introduction...

My name is Vincent and I run a small shop in town. We (whole family) left home at 6am and return earliest 6.30 pm 6 days a week but still need a pool for exercise (medical reason). So I set out to DIY my own pool. Started excavation 2 years ago but with constant high water bed and rain, can only pour base concrete slab 6 months later. The walls take another 6 months as the pool was constantly flooded by our 200+ rainy days a year. So I build the roof over the pool area before I could continue the plastering and tiling. Finally done mid December 2007 and fill water, soak for a week, drain the cement & grout contaminated water and refill. And I got this after less than a week.

My green water

Thus I start hunting the web for answers and I found TFP. Turned my green pool back to blue ...

44 GPM Waterfall

My Blue water

Equipment and suction tank
    Waterco Aquamite 50
    Waterco S600 Sand Filter
    Compupool CPSC24 SWG

To prevent a repeat of my earlier problem (or even worse), I decide to master the skill of taking care of my own pool healthily. Learned about water balancing and getting TF100 to test my water. Now that I know what I have (rather what I don't have) and on the way to a balanced water, my anxiety wear off, that's when I realised that I haven't even introduce myself.

Here in the eastern part of Malaysia, there are 4 pool shops. They design, build and maintain pools as well as chemical supply but alas, typical Asian styles...."if no problem then everything is OK". They only sells Trichlor, Cal-Hypo, dry acid, ph Plus, ph Minus, Sodium Bicarbonate, soda ash, 10% liquid Chlorine and Alum, 2 way and 4 way test kit. Nothing else. One shop got a Taylor K2005 which I belief is at least 2 years old judging by the dust on it. Ask them anything else, don't know.

I have to build the roof before I can complete the plastering and tiling because of the rain. Now it comes in handy against birds dropping of ripe palm seeds (which can turn my water red), spent firework shells which fill the skies over the Chinese New Year season, and rain fill/overflow. Certainly help alot with maintenance especially with temperature of 75 - 85 F whole year round.

My apology for the long introduction as I am on the other side of your world (mostly).

So please pardon me if I ask any awkwardly stupid questions.

Vincent.
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Welcome to TFP!

Thanks for posting pictures! It is wonderful to see the pool we have been talking about the last few months.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Vincent, thanks for giving us the whole background (and pictures!!!!!! ) to the post's we've been following!

Congratulations on having such a nice pool , given your hard work to both build it and learn how to maintain it -- you of all people deserve a Trouble Free Pool!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Nicely done, thanks for sharing!

I'm going to add your pool to the slideshow if you don't mind.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Hi Vincent,

As 'Waste' said, Thanks for giving us the background and pics to your post that we have been following! You did a great job and your pool is amazing!

Ripe palm seeds, spent fireworks shells & rain over-flow? Okay, I'll try to quit complaining about leaves

Enjoy your new pool
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all of you out there. You are the reasons why I spend so much time here. My CEO is getting jealous . Sean, I am elated by your offer. Thanks for your great site, IMHO, better than poolforum .

Vincent
    8,000 gal IG concrete & tiled lap pool, 1/2 hp pump, 24" sand filter, SWG Auto Clean, whole pool under shed, 3 X 2ft waterfall one end overflow the other end. TF100 Testkit. 80 F Water whole year round.