How much Salt to Start

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
Am I understanding the table in the IntelliChlor manual correctly that for a 25k gal pool, I need to start with around 700 lbs of salt to reach 3,400 ppm from the current 0 ppm?

Seems like so much salt, but then again, its the first dose.

Never assume that your starting salt level is zero. It will always be higher than zero. If you have been using the pool for a while it can be quite a bit higher. If you just did a fresh fill you can assume it is fairly low, but even then it won't be zero.

Also, when making large adjustments in any level it is always best to add about 2/3rds as much as you think you need, let it mix in, test again to see where you got to, and adjust from there.

If your salt level really was zero and you actually wanted to raise it all the way to 3400 in one go, then yes 700 lbs is just about right.

thanks, just looking for a sanity check. I thought I must be missing something on the table.

I just installed the intellichlor, so its been just standard Chlorine previously. I think I have everythign ready to go, and just tested the water;

FC - 12 (shocked two days ago)
TA - 90
CH - 400-450
PH - 7.2 (usually 7.8-8.0 but trying to drive down the TA the last few days)
CYA - 50

Plan to start adding Salt tomorrow morning and letting it mix over the day (likely 2/3rd of suggested amount, as suggested)

Also, try to get the salt mixed in as quickly as possible. You don't want salt sitting on the plaster for extended periods of time.

Allow the pump to run continuously until the salt is fully dissolved. Brush several times, and use your automatic cleaner, if you have one. Keep the cell off until the salt is fully dissolved, and at the correct concentration.

Have you had the water tested to see what your initial salt level is?

I left the pump run 24h and brushed along with the floor cleaner for a few hours. I just ran up the Intellichlor for the first time and its flashing green which apparently means too much salt. However I only added ~400 lbs of salt and left the other 200 lbs aside to add as needed.

This seems odd, as the pool had a fresh fill last year (late summer) to get my CYA down. Therefore I cannot imagine there is much salt already in the pool.

As a test, shut everything down, switched to the spa which had not had salt added to it yet, or been included in the previous 24h circulation. Again, after the initial 2min rolling lights, the Intellichlor shows a flashing green for salt level. The spa water should not really have any salt.

Any suggestions.

Buy a test kit and test for your salt level independently of your SWG ... apparently you did not do this prior to adding the initial 400 lbs of salt.

Or at least see what the pool store thinks your salt level is.

jblizzle said:
Buy a test kit and test for your salt level independently of your SWG ... apparently you did not do this prior to adding the initial 400 lbs of salt.

Or at least see what the pool store thinks your salt level is.

Yes, I shoudl have measured before, but given the realitivley recent fresh fill, I still only added half of what the table suggested. In addition, the spa which did not get any salt, is also making the cell flash "too much salt".

I'm goign to take a sample to the pool store this evening to see what they measure.

Pool shop reading was 4,300 ppm. According to the manual, the green light flashes at 4,500 ppm and greater. So I am assuming I'm somewhere just over 4,500 ppm according to the cell itself.

I believe I'm way off no my pool volume. It's free form so difficult to calculate. Thankfully I stopped at 400 lbs of salt and did not add the 700 lbs for a 25,000 gal pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.