Skimmer diverter closes suddenly

Apr 21, 2012
So I'm brand new to pools and just bought a house with a pool. I am trying my best to maintain it but sometimes the skimmer diverter stops allowing water to come through the skimmer. I have it set with the bottom almost completly open and initially it works. After a few hours I've been going back outside and no water is coming through the skimmer. I have to remove the diverter and play around with it for water to start coming through the skimmer.. Anyone know why this might be happening? Do I have to have the diverter on? There are two holes underneath the diverter if that means anything. Thanks!

I would recommend not using the diverter at all. The only thing they do is reduce flow and you really want maximum flow. You can unscrew the diverter from the float valve and still use the float valve if you want to or just remove the entire float assembly. The float protects the pump when the water level gets too low and it also helps to pull more water from the main drain although that is not always necessary.

You don't need to wait more than a couple of minutes after using pool perfect/phos free before swimming. By the by, I wouldn't bother with pool perfect or phos free unless you have one of the problems that specifically calls for using them. Pool Perfect can be very useful if you are getting oily accumulations on the walls of the skimmer or a visible oil film on the surface of the water, but I wouldn't bother with it otherwise. And we never recommend using phosphate removers.

Ok thanks! Pool was looking kinda cloudy and I wasn't sure if I was getting enough chlorine out of our tabs we have in the little floater device. Any other place to put the tabs? Can you put it in the skimmer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.