Calcium hardness color question

CaraR

May 23, 2011
I was wondering if the addition of salt to a pool changes the degree of pink color you get after adding the R-011L reagent in testing for calcium hardness?

The reason I ask is that I don't check it often (just because it rarely varies too much) and we have added a SWG since the last time I tested and now the water is just barely pink after adding the reagent. I tested 3 times on my own because I could just barely see color at all let alone a change and then I had the pool store test just to be sure I wasn't getting a faulty reading or having problems with reagents.

Prior to adding SWG, I remember the water initially being bright pink. Since that's the only thing that has changes I was wondering if others had experienced this as well.

The addition of salt, assuming it is sodium chloride, shouldn't have an effect on the color of your CH sample. How old is your R-0011L reagent and where do you keep your test kit when you aren't using it?

R-0011L is one of those reagents that goes bad over time. This expiration process can be sped up by storing a kit in a place where it is subjected to temperature extremes. If you have noticed that the R-0011L is acting differently, replacing it would be advisable.

Thanks for the replies. I bought the reagents last May/June as part of the large TF-100 test kit, as such it doesn't appear that individual bottle has a lot number. I keep all the tests inside in cabinet so climate controlled. I will order some new R-011L and see if the problem goes away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.