new user plan to switch from baqua to chlorine today

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, we have all wished to find a solid chlorine source without CYA, calcium, or other chemicals in the mix. Unfortunately, chlorine is too unstable as a stand alone solid for storage and safe handling.

since the pool is covered most of time how often will I usually have to add bleach for daily maintainece? If I use tablets in the skimmer will the cya get too high? should I buy some type of chlorine dispenser for daily maintaince since the pool stays covered most of time?

since the pool is covered most of time how often will I usually have to add bleach for daily maintainece? Perhaps twice weekly....very hard to say

If I use tablets in the skimmer will the cya get too high? Absolutely

should I buy some type of chlorine dispenser for daily maintaince since the pool stays covered most of time? I don't think you'll need it.

i ordered a t-100 test kit but didn't get it yet. I just got too anxious to start the conversion today and added 4 gal 6% bleach to the pool and 1 hour later checked it with a walmart oto and it was zero. Can i use the oto until my test kit comes?

Pretty sure you can continue to add bleach ... your conversion will just not be as fast as you probably are not going to be able to maintain the appropriate FC levels without the good test kit. The Baqua will be using the FC way before the sun has a chance to touch it as you get started.

I assume you have read pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion to understand the process?

You're safe to go out and add another few gallons of bleach tonight. The Baquacil's done ate up all the chlorine you added. Do the same in the morning too. Once your kit arrives then post your test results here and we'll help you out.

If you're worried about the extra "work" of adding liquid chlorine with an automatic cover....don't be. If it's covered most the time one of the main cause of chlorine lose (the sun) won't be a factor. You really shouldn't have to add much at all if it's always covered. :D

Welcome...and we love photo's!

albaltz,

Uncover the pool for the conversion, at least in the daytime. You will develop combined chloramines as the chlorine kills off the baqua and you want the sun to help get rid of the CC's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still converting my pool. I was interrupted by a 3 day stay in the hospital. I am well now and ready to continue. The water is more clear than any time in past 10 years but still runs fc loss of 4-5 over night and cc runs 4 to 6 each am. I have continued to add one or two gals of 10% chlorine nightly for the last 4 days. Overall have used 32 gal. Can I change the sand now or do I need to continue until chlorine loss is lower and cc are lower?

Leave the sand be. There's still alot of garbage in there so you'll just end up changing it again

All is OK with you health wise?

water tests past 48 hours:
4-30-12
6 pm: fc 0
cc 2 ph 7.5
2 gal 10% chlorine added at 8 pm;
9pm fc 16
cc 2

5-1-12
8 am fc 12
cc 3; ph 7.8;

7:30 pm:
fc 0, cc 2, ph 7.5
2 gal 10 % chlorine bleach added at 8pm;

9:00pm fc 17, cc2, ph 7.5

5-2-12 7 am
fc 11, cc 2, ph 7.8, ta 110, ch 220. The water is absolutely clear.. perfect. There doesn't seem to bee much change the past 48 hours.

The filter pressure did not go up any at all. I back-flushed once yesterday and very minimal cloudiness in the glass, so not much being filtered now since everything is crystal clear.

Should I continue daily 2 gal bleach or can I try changing sand now?

The grand kids are anxious to swim. What fc levels are safe to swim in? How long to wait after each shock before safe to swim? See photos

***Disregard most of what I wrote here, as I did not notice it was a conversion***

Well, the first thing I see is that you are not following the shock process. The FC should NEVER be allowed to get below the shock level and you repeatedly reported a FC of 0 ... so you need to be testing and adding more often if possible. Or shooting higher so it does not drop below shock level.

What is your CYA level? I do not see that listed anywhere, so there is no way for me to know what your shock level should be and therefore what FC level is safe to swim at ... you should not swim when the FC > shock level ... which is required while you are shocking.

You also seem to be showing a significant FC drop overnight, so something is consuming your FC and it is not the sun.

So, report your CYA level and then keep the FC above the correct FC level until you complete the Shocking Your Pool process

EDIT: And why do you keep asking about changing the sand ... there is not reason to do that.
EDIT2: Just realized you are converting ... so there is a reason to change the sand eventually :oops:
EDIT3: Ignore the link above and my comments about CYA as that is not applicable. Review the Conversion article in Pool School. Sounds like you are still in Steps 4-6. You are still loosing FC overnight so it is not time for Step 7 and sand replacement

thanks. It is a conversion and cya is zero. I added chlorine tonight and fc is 16 now. Its trying to rain here and i covered the pool with my automatic cover. I hope a fc at 16 wil not harm my cover. Thank you. i had pics but couldnt get them uploaded

i finished the conversion and began adding borax today. can anyone advise me where i can find out when it is safe to allow swimming after adding bleach. also is it ok to use my automatic cover after i have shocked my pool up to 13 or 15 ppm of FC? thanks for the help

You can swim safely in any FC content up to and including shock value....that's a good place to draw the line. Not being nosy but have you changed the filter media and allowed your FC to come back down to get an accurate pH test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support