Tell me I did not screw up too bad....with ball valves

Apr 17, 2012
When I was trying to get my foreclosed pool going, I could not fill up the water (after cleaning) because the skimmer, return, bottom drain lines were cut off that the pumping station. So, I went to the hardware store and bought some 2" ball valves (will post photo if needed) so I could fill the pool. The pool guys were 2 days late and I wanted to get started. Not knowing any better, I thought the ball valves would be okay. The pool guys got there and said they would have used a different valve because the ball valves don't last that long. I said you should have arrived on time and we wouldn't be talking about this......anyway....

The ball valves work fine now and look pretty good to me. I even put on the kind with with screw in adapters/couplings in case the valves when bad. I see now that I should have used some better ones or maybe some with quick release couplings. I am learning and have a tendency of getting things right or it will bother me.

So, here's the question: I will run these valves as long as I can, but I like getting ahead of the game, but I may get a wild hair and change them out if I have to drain the pool down for any reason (the draining stops when it gets to return level).

1. How long will I get out of regular hardware store ball valves?
2. Which valve is the best in the future?

Any suggestions on valves (type, installation, etc.) would be great. I'm going back out there today so I'll post some photos of my pump set up.

1. How long will I get out of regular hardware store ball valves? Impossible to predict....I got five years
2. Which valve is the best in the future? Jandy or Praher (those are brand names)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.