New Salt Water pool owners and cloudy water

lagal

Mar 30, 2008
We are first time pool owner...just had a 16 x 32 salt water pool put in back yard...still have a lil dirt around concrete area of pool we have not complete the landscaping part yet and we also live in South Louisiana where the pollen is horrible right now...only complaint really is cloudy water, never has been really crystal clear...here are the pool stats at this moment

ph 7.8
ppm free chlorine 10
ppm total alkalinity 120
ppm stabalizer 30-50

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

What kind of filter do you have? DE? Sand? Cartridge? I'm thinking that filter may require cleaning because of the dirt and pollen and that would help explain your cloudy water.

If you are keeping your filter clean (by backwashing) my guess is your water will clear. I assume you are running the pump 24/7.

The only other issue I see is your pH is a little high...not much, but a little. Do you test for Calcium? High Calcium and high pH will definitely cause cloudiness but I sorta doubt you are at that point. Post your CH test results if you have them. If not, I tend to think your water is simply a little dirty from the silt and pollen and will probably clear on it's own

We run the pump from 800AM to 600PM, then it shuts off...should we run it 24/7

I am not sure how to measure my calcium....all I have for a test kit is the lil test strips that were given to us from the contractor which measure what I posted in original post, I see I need to upgrade to a better test kit, which I will but will have to wait until next weekend...we live out in the country, no pool supply near us, so our next trip into town will be next weekend...by the time my husband gets off work in the afternoon in town traffic is WAY to bad/busy for him to go to the pool store...I am sure things will be ok until the weekend...

I trully appreciate all the help and info that has been given to me here....I appreciate all your time for replying back to me...

Thanks again
lagal

The best investment you can make in your pool is a good test kit. I suggest the TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, or the Taylor K-2006. In either case it is best to order them over the Internet, local pool stores rarely carry good test kits.

As long as you are having problems with the water being cloudy you should run your pump 24/7. You shouldn't have to do that very often but for now it is a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.