Is intex pump adequate?

Apr 7, 2012
Looking for suggestions: We will be setting up (from storage) 16x48 intex pool soon and wondering if it needs a more powerful pump/filtration system. Had lots of problems with fine particles in the water and just seemed like insufficient circulation last year. The pump that came with the pool worked well with no apparent problems, but the water was just impossible to keep clear - the biggest problem was a persistent, very fine layer of stuff on the floor of the pool that would stir up once we were in and never seem to get filtered out. The water would look crystal clear, then once anyone was in and stirred it up, it was very cloudy. This went on all summer.
Will buying a more powerful pump or different filtration system help? I tested the water daily and adjusted chemicals according to results. Loved the pool, but just never seemed to get the right routine to keep it nice.
Any suggestions?

Welcome to TFP!

Find dust on the floor of the pool needs to be vacuumed up. The filter will never catch most, let alone all, of the dust large enough to settle on the floor, so some stuff will always accumulate there, regardless of how good your pump/filter is.

I've had 2 or 3 inflatable ring type pools. The pumps that came with all of them were inadequate. A guy at the pool store sold me on a sand filter/pump upgrade, and that was the best thing I ever did for it/them. This year I'll be setting up a larger ultra-frame and I plan to use the same filter/pump combo. Based on past experience I expect the pump that comes with the pool to be too small to do the job.

I live on a gravel road and would always have fine dust on the bottom. When the oem pump died I upgraded to the intex sand filter, it helped as it caught more stuff before it made it to the bottom and when it was stirred up. But Jason's right I still had to vacuum to get it all and because of the dirt road that is a daily chore if I wanted it spotless. I usually settled for 2-3 time a week.

That pool comes with a 1,500gph pump. I have the same pool. That pump is way under powered and will not do a good job. You should look in to and invest in a Intex 4000 gallon per hour pump. Sell for about $150-170 dollars and the attachments fit your current pumps sizes, so no modifications of the houses are needed.

Thanks everybody - planning to order the intex 2500 and see what happens. Hoping that it will be an easy switch out. Makes you wonder if they sell these things with underpowered equipment on purpose. Either way, I appreciate all the great advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted to update since we got things sorted out. We ordered the 2500 gal intex pump from Amazon and it installed with no problem at all. Larger pump has absolutely made all the difference. I highly recommend this change to anyone purchasing the Intex Ultra Frame pools.
Thanks for all the great guidance!

I too ordered the larger pump after I got my Intex. I have the 18x52, so the supplied 1500gph pump was waaaay too small. I upgraded to the 4000gph pump, but I don't think they make that one any more, so I'm glad I got it while I did. It's too bad, cuz it's a nice pump, not sure why they stopped selling it. But I'm sure the 2500gph is pretty good too since it also uses the larger B cartridges. FYI, order the cartridges from Amazon in bulk. It's so much cheaper than getting them from Intex or even Walmart.

I too have posted on this board about the same subject...I have the 16 x 48 Ultra with the standard stock pumpt 635T and are having the same issues...

I figured that by going ahead and ordering another system (Intex 1600 sand filter/pump) I will save myself a lot of time & aggravation. Expect mine sometime next week & will be posting the results...(can't be any worse!!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.