Jandy lxi not heating, getting ignition fault, help

Oct 21, 2011
We had a Jandy lxi installed mid-winter in our home in Northern California. We turned it on and tested it after it was installed and it worked great. We used it one other time since then and it worked fine then too.

It's been months since we turned it on but today we tried turning it on and it didn't work. Turns on, sounds like it's starting up. I can feel the blower going out the top but it's cool air. The blower begins before the ignition. I heard the gas flare up kind of like when it lights the pilot light so it sounds like it's lighting. The air temp didn't change during this process. Then we smelled gas for about 20 seconds, then it did the woosh sound again and sounded as if it lighted again. It tries three times and shuts off with an check ignition fault message.

What can/should I check on this thing?

I think either you're not getting flame rectification, or your igniter is not heating up(open). when you get the "whoosh", do you get any heat out of the exhaust? You wouldn't get much heat, just enough to get a change in temp. If you get no heat, igniter. If you get a little heat, rectifier. If this heater is less than a year, it should be warranty. If it is warranty, don't touch it. You may inadvertently void warranty poking around in there.

No heat at all, not a single bit. I tested it a few times now and even when my hand is there during the woosh there isn't a temp change. Thanks. I will have them check the igniter. Thanks for the tips!

If I'm not mistaken (it's been a while since I had to tinker with mine) you can take the front cover off and look through the sight glass into the burner area, and you should be able to see the igniter glowing during the ignition cycle, if it's working properly.

It should still be under warranty, at least 1 year. Mess with something and screw it up and you could void the remainder of the warranty. Call and get a tech out to look at it. Why waste your time and money for parts.

I had a similar problem with my 5 year old LX. The problem was a corroded and collapsed burner tube. The result was a backfire which caused the second "whoosh" sound and starved the oxygen supply causing the shutdown.

What error codes are you seeing on the panel?

Take the front panel off and observe the entire cycle from at least 5 feet away. If there is no backfire, then observe the igniter through the small glass window. If it doesn't glow then you have a problem with the igniter or the igniter circuit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.