Pool Cover and Reel..Diving Board and Rails on ends.

nikolasmor

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 22, 2010
Calvert County, Maryland
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC1 (RC-35)
So they just finished the repair work on out 16*32 IG Liner Pool. I am interested on getting a Solar Cover with Reel but I have a diving board on one end and rails for the steps on the other. Maybe I cant see the forest for the trees but what is my best option for a Reel that will work in this case.

-Nikolas

I've posted my reel in other questions similar to this, and I have to say i'm very happy with it.
I like you have a 17x33 pool with diving board on one end along with a climb out ladder. Then on the other end I have offset steps, not rails in the pool though.

I don't put the reel exactly at the end of the pool in the deep end, but I put it close to the end of the diving board, and clip the clips on there. So when i roll it up, a small amount of the cover that usually sits under the diving board will roll up with the first couple turns, then it pulls the rest of the cover.
I like this reel because it sits higher slightly higher than the diving board, It's easy to reel and unreel a large cover, and allows me to easily roll it out of the way.

I currently don't have pictures of it to show you what I mean, but if I remember this weekend when I open the pool (weather permitting) i'll snap a few.

Yeah, putting it on at the beginning of the season or the first time can be a little hassle since I did it while the cover was on the pool. I try to get the straps the same length and clipped on at an even distance with 2 near the edges of the cover so it rolls on straight.
I also have a Grecian shaped pool, so I couldn't measure off the back end of the solar cover to get a precise straight line across the cover to where I could clip the roller on.

Once it's all on, I mark what's what and where it goes so when i disassemble it for storage at the end of the season I can re-assemble it with less hassle the next year.
Oh, and I didn't like the clips it came with, so I bought a couple packs of tarp clips (local hardware store) and replaced it with them. Work much better for me.

Took some pictures of my setup for you.
Sorry I don't have my diving board up yet.
photo3fqd.jpg

photo4ya.jpg

photo5zi.jpg

Nikolas and Westside,
I also have a diving board at one end with steps/rail at the other. Hoping to get some advice...just purchased my first solar cover...but no reel. Two questions....first, I'm assuming you cannot run the pump with the cover on and second, how difficult is it to take on and off each day? I live in MD, so I will probably only use the cover in early and late season to warm the water. Not trying to hijack your thread, just thought I would expand the conversation. Thanks for your help...

Gil

I run my pump with the cover on all the time. Seeing as you have a 20x40 pool it may be difficult. Our 17x33 was a bit difficult to get Off due to weight. My wide and her sister had trouble getting it off in the Day to swim while I was at work. That's why we purchased the reel.

jaywdetroit said:
Stupid Question, sorry: The wheels on the cover look like they are going the wrong way. How do you roll the cover out of the way once it's off the pool?

You lift from the non-wheeled end and steer it from that end.

Just as an FYI, new users require approval of their first post to keep spammers off the board. Normally happens quickly, but since we are getting busier in pool season, it sometimes takes a few before we see it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jaywdetroit said:
John: Thanks for the info. I have a very small deck. I'd probably end up having to lift the wheeled end. (Pool is 18x32) How heavy is it?

The reel itself is probably 5 pounds lifting from the non wheeled end when empty.
The cover is going to be the biggest amount of weight. And that all depends on the overall size and thickness of the cover.
But my wife can lift and move ours out of the way when it's fully rolled up on it. I'm guessing 15 or so pounds from one end. Lifting the whole thing would be pretty heavy and take more than 1 person.

Again this is just my reel. They make others that may fit your application better.

WestSidePool said:
I run my pump with the cover on all the time. Seeing as you have a 20x40 pool it may be difficult. Our 17x33 was a bit difficult to get Off due to weight. My wide and her sister had trouble getting it off in the Day to swim while I was at work. That's why we purchased the reel.

Thanks...have been running the pump with cover on...no issues yet. As for warming up the water, is it more efficient to take the cover off during the day or just leave it on? I purchased a blue/clear cover from Doheny's, so I'm hoping the water warms up fairly quickly...I've had the cover on for less than week and the temp is holding steady at 64F...of course, it's only been getting into the low 70s. Any thoughts on routine?

Thanks again...

Gil

jaywdetroit said:
Your pool loses heat through evaporation. So keeping the cover on keeps the heat in.

But does the daytime heat overcome any daytime evaporation? Seems like the most efficient method would be to remove the cover during the day (even if you're not swimming) and then covering at night...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.