SWG to Spa or not?

Should the SWG be routed to the Spa?

• Total voters

stever

LifeTime Supporter
There has been some debate recently over the correct location of the SWG relative to the Spa. Some say that if the SWG runs to the spa, it will overchlorinate. Others maintain that the spa needs some sort of chlorination.

I'm sure there is no 100% correct answer and it depends on the use, etc. but I am interested in what you all have to say about it. My question is:

- With the intellichlor and Intellitouch automation, can I 'turn down' the chlorination in spa mode?

If this were possible, then the problem could be solved -- water chlorinated, but not overchlorinated.

The Intellichlor manual states that it should be before the pool/spa 3-way valve to chlorinate the spa and to keep gas vrom building up in the pipes.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

My SWG is plumbed to chlorinate the spa (i.e. before the 3-way). However, my controller (AquaLogic) has two different settings, one for the pool and one for the spa. This way I can set the exact chlorine level I need to each.

A spa will require higher chlorine levels than the pool because of the heat, the lower volume and higher bather load. I don't know about the controller you chose but I would definitely make sure it has multiple settings.

The IntelliTouch automatically adjusts the SWG output level when in spa mode, so it is appropriate to place the cell before the pool/spa return split when using a supported SWG (which includes the IntelliChlor and a couple of others) with the IntelliTouch.

In my system, the valve to switch between pool and spa return is after the SWCG. In my controller (Easytouch) I have the ability to set the SWCG run time % seperately for pool or spa mode. I set spa mode to 0% however. In my case I think this is the correct choice because I have an in-floor cleaning system. All of the return flow in 'pool' mode is through the in-floor system. It constanty cycles though 6 seperate zones, one of which is the spa. This means whenever the pump is running in pool mode the spa gets regular water circulation from the pool. I'm not too concerned about the chlorine dissipation from the spa while we're using it. Spa use is for such relatively short durations and goes back into circulation when we're done.

I'm curious how it works though in pools which don't have an in-floor cleaning system... does the spa water circulate ONLY when in spa mode?

JasonLion said:
The IntelliTouch uses a fixed ratio. Spa mode automatically goes to 1/20th of the percentage of pool mode.

In my EasyTouch system, I think it works that way initially but you have the ability to manually override the setting to have complete control over pool mode and spa mode SWCG run %. I'm guessing the Intellitouch is the same way since it's an upgrade to the EasyTouch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.