Concrete pool deck - stamped and stained or washed aggregate

jttr

Apr 18, 2012
Texas
It looks like we will be doing concrete next week. We are going to have about 1200' of deck area and I am still up in the air about what to use! Hubby wants washed aggregate - I am afraid it will be too hot and rough on the feet. (we have no shade or mature trees). I initially wanted a cooldeck type product but when I spoke with the concrete guy, he said that type of product isn't what it used to be as far as really staying cool. He said the older product used asbestos and that is what kept it cool but now they don't use it anymore so it really isn't much cooler than regular concrete. After I spoke with him I was leaning more toward a stamped finish that is scored and stained. He said the stain is water based and keeps the concrete cooler and it's easy to touch up if it fades.

So what is everyone using on their pool deck? I would love to hear thoughts on the different options.
J

Re: Concrete pool deck - stamped and stained or washed aggre

We built a pool last year and had about 2000 square feet of concrete. My wife used to have her own faux finishing company in which she did concrete acid stains etc... Based on our experience with concrete acid staining we went with a spray deck/ cool deck product and have been very satisfied. With acid staining of a concrete deck in order for it look right you have to put down some type of sealer. Once you put sealer down on the deck, it brings out the vivid colors of the acid stain however the deck becomes "slick" when wet. Even if you add non-skid or shark bite etc... it will still be slick. Plus the sealer will require reapplication over time from UV damage. The cool deck/ spray deck was sprayed with from a handheld hopper after the "28 day" concrete cure/ It was your basic brite white. After it dried then the installer came back and rollered on "behr solid color concrete stain" that was purchased from HD. Since it the final color was locally bought we could buy more or change the color ourselves as it was just rollered on. It takes two good coats to change the color. We actually changed the color ourselves a month later because a swatch was hard to imagine once it covered the whole porch. The cool deck or spray deck has enough variation in the surface texture to create some movement in the color when up close, versus just painting the regular concrete patio. The deck is cool to our feet and I think this is because of the variation in surface texture and it is not slippery, like s semi-gloss sealer would be.

We have acrylic spray deck (cool deck looking) on our concrete and it gets really hot. We have zero shade around the pool as well. I think its just the nature of the beast.

Kool Deck is quite porous. That means that it can stain. Acrylic coated deck, which is often textured too look like Kool Deck is much more durable and stain resistant. It is cooler than exposed aggregate or flagstone, but not as cool as the Kool Deck. It can be textured and colored to look like almost any surface you can imagine. Brick, flagstone, what ever.

That is what I decided to use, and I'm still happy with it six years later. Holds up well and easy to touch-up or refinish.

We went with pavers because it was cheaper and because it will never crack. Concrete will crack :mrgreen: . We were able to incorporate our existing concrete pad using 1.25inch pavers. Look at our pool build in the Sig. Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers:

039.jpg

038.jpg

037.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

All pictures taken this morning in the same light. If you need the exact product we used spray deck vs cool deck. I can call my PB and ask. I do know that once it was applied we could use any solid color concrete stain from Behr and applied with a roller. It is not an integral color so touch ups are easy if necessary. I plan to re-roller at the end of the year or the beginning of next year. I would not use a solid color stain on jsut straight concrete patio as it would too uniform of an appearance. With the surface irregularity of the spray dek or cool deck, there is some visual movement in the color.

i didn't see in your original post as to where you live. i'm "assuming" it's where summers get quite warm or down right hot.

we live in keller texas and as you probably know last summer was awful. we have aggregate for out decking and it will definitely get hot when in the sun. it can be hard on the feet particularly if you have been in the pool for an extended period of time because of the softer skin on your feet. has not been a problem though when not in the pool. but it does get HOT in full sun. strategically place umbrella sleeves in your decking may help with that though.

good luck on your decision! :cheers:

chiefwej said:
Kool Deck is quite porous. That means that it can stain. Acrylic coated deck, which is often textured too look like Kool Deck is much more durable and stain resistant. It is cooler than exposed aggregate or flagstone, but not as cool as the Kool Deck. It can be textured and colored to look like almost any surface you can imagine. Brick, flagstone, what ever.

That is what I decided to use, and I'm still happy with it six years later. Holds up well and easy to touch-up or refinish.

I'll have to ask my concrete guy about the acrylic coated product. Thanks for the info!

Brentr said:
We went with pavers because it was cheaper and because it will never crack. Concrete will crack :mrgreen: . We were able to incorporate our existing concrete pad using 1.25inch pavers. Look at our pool build in the Sig. Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers:

Those pavers are great looking! Hmmm...

Kerlee said:
039.jpg

038.jpg

037.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

All pictures taken this morning in the same light. If you need the exact product we used spray deck vs cool deck. I can call my PB and ask. I do know that once it was applied we could use any solid color concrete stain from Behr and applied with a roller. It is not an integral color so touch ups are easy if necessary. I plan to re-roller at the end of the year or the beginning of next year. I would not use a solid color stain on jsut straight concrete patio as it would too uniform of an appearance. With the surface irregularity of the spray dek or cool deck, there is some visual movement in the color.

You read my mind...my next question was going to be to see pictures. That does seem like easy maintenance. I'm going to ask the concrete guy about this as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

ajones02 said:
i didn't see in your original post as to where you live. i'm "assuming" it's where summers get quite warm or down right hot.

we live in keller texas and as you probably know last summer was awful. we have aggregate for out decking and it will definitely get hot when in the sun. it can be hard on the feet particularly if you have been in the pool for an extended period of time because of the softer skin on your feet. has not been a problem though when not in the pool. but it does get HOT in full sun. strategically place umbrella sleeves in your decking may help with that though.

good luck on your decision! :cheers:

Yes, we live in central Texas so you know what I am talking about! I know whatever we put out there it's going to get hot, I just want the least amount of heat possible! Even the grass gets too hot to walk on in the summer! Our driveway is aggregate and I couldn't imagine trying to walk across it in the heat of the day. I'm definitely going to do the umbrella sleeves that many of you have mentioned. Originally I was just thinking 1 near the sunshelf and 1 near the in-pool table area but now I'm going to put them as many places as I can get away with. We are definitely going to consider putting up one of those Tenshon type covers to keep the pool usable at all times during the day. I swear there were days last summer that it was even too hot to swim! Our other issue is wind though...

We did ours in Spray Deck, Kahlua Creme color. Turned out perfect...! We had pea gravel decking around the pool at our last house and it did get hot in the summer and was a little rough on the feet. The spray deck feels much more comfortable, but we havent had any chance to test how hot it gets yet. Good luck!

554263_10150734249244941_760269940_9328718_1588781720_n.jpg

536788_10150734251319941_760269940_9328735_2032119750_n.jpg

I have 2-3 days to make a decision on my decking material too and would REALLY like some guidance. My pool/deck are in Texas and face the west with no shade and I want to be sure that the surface I select isn't too hot, is durable, and looks nice.

We were quoted stamped concrete ($10/sf) but from what I understand it gets extremely hot. I have also looked at Kool Deck and MultiCoat's Krete Koat (Krete Coat is $8/sf and $10.50/sf with stamped pattern). Cost is not the issue since the deck is only 700sf, but I want to make sure we are happy with the produce we select.

What would you suggest?

Appreciate your 2¢ in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.