Question on Calcium Test and Combine Chlorine Level

tlhwxman

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2012
Okay I have a couple of questions for the group. Here they go..

1) Just got done with a proper shock about 1 week ago (as some may recall). CC has been zero up today. Today it was 0.5. What is an acceptable level of CC before a shock is necessary? Does CC fluctuate a bit even though the pool is in balance over all?

2) I have a TF-100 Test Kit. In the Calcium Hardness Test, it says to add to the solution until it turns blue. My solution never really turns blue. It turns more of a purple color. I call that close enough and my CH levels seem normal. It is also hard to see when exactly the change over to purple really takes place. Does this sound normal to everybody?? Just checkin'

Of course, maybe I am being too much a perfectionist about this stuff. I am still trying to get a feel for these numbers.

FC 8 (I know this is high, but working on getting the right SWG percentage)
CC 0.5
TA 80
CYA 60
CH 200 (I think)
pH 7.2
Salt 3050

Thanks in advance
Todd

tlhwxman said:
Okay I have a couple of questions for the group. Here they go..

1) Just got done with a proper shock about 1 week ago (as some may recall). CC has been zero up today. Today it was 0.5. What is an acceptable level of CC before a shock is necessary? Does CC fluctuate a bit even though the pool is in balance over all?

2) I have a TF-100 Test Kit. In the Calcium Hardness Test, it says to add to the solution until it turns blue. My solution never really turns blue. It turns more of a purple color. I call that close enough and my CH levels seem normal. It is also hard to see when exactly the change over to purple really takes place. Does this sound normal to everybody?? Just checkin'

Of course, maybe I am being too much a perfectionist about this stuff. I am still trying to get a feel for these numbers.

FC 8 (I know this is high, but working on getting the right SWG percentage)
CC 0.5
TA 80
CYA 60
CH 200 (I think)
pH 7.2
Salt 3050

Thanks in advance
Todd

Treat .5CC's as if was zero....yes, it will fluctuate. 1.0CC's is an attention getter and indicates you may need to shock.

The CH test is pretty tough. Try this next time. As you get close to what you think it is. slowdown and add one drop at a time and swirl thoroughly between each drop. You should see a slight color change after each drop.

If you don't think your last drop made a slight difference, add one more and confirm that. If it stayed the same again, then subtract those last two drops because they didn't change anything and that's your CH result.

Better yet, let it be known that you REALLY need a Speedstir for your birthday. :mrgreen: It makes a dramatic improvement in the results of the CH test. It really improves ALL the tests but is most dramatic with CH.

Let's see...if you think it's 200, that would be 20 drops of R-0012.

Besides getting a speedstir, here's what I would do in your shoes: Add 5 drops of R-0012 to the sample and swirl it for a full 60 seconds. Use the second hand, don't count. Then add the R-0010, mix it, add the R-011, mix it good, then add 5 more drops of R-0012 and mix it for another full minute. Then add drops one at a time, swirling at least 30 seconds between drops. When it changes to purple, swirl a minute or two between drops. At some point it will turn blue, no mistaking it, blue. Similar shade to the little box that the pH tester comes in, just not as intense.

I use a speedstir, and sometimes the color change will stall, and cycling it another spin or two will get it to go blue without any extra drops.

The CH test can take a long, long, long time, even with a speedstir.

Dave and Richard

Thanks for the reply. I hear what you are saying about the speed stir. I have been doing these tests for three weeks now and the speed stir has bumped to the very top of my "wants" list. :) I'll probably wait until I need a solution refill.

Okay sounds like I was on the right track with CC. Thanks for the good tips on the Calcium. I will give them a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.