Which model autopilot?

randytsuch

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have been looking into alternative sanitizer for a little while. Was considering ionizers, ozonizers, but I think I will go with a SWG.

I have an older pool, with copper pipes, we refinished a few years ago with fiberglass, about 23,000 gals, and we have a semi automatic safety cover on it.

I was worried about the copper pipes in the pool, with a SWG, but found this thread
http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopi ... pper+pipes
so I decided it was safe, as long as I watch my ph

After a little more research, I am leaning towards the autopilot, but not sure which model I should go for.

Wondering if the digital is worth the extra money over a LED model?

Also trying to figure out what size to get. Because the pool is covered, I don't use a lot of chlorine. I have been using Leslie's power powder to shock, and chlor brite for normal use. We mostly use the pool on weekends, so I have just been shocking it late Sunday, if it needs it, and then I add some chlorine on Thurs and Fri, to get it ready for the weekend. With the cover, algae has not been a problem, even if chlorine levels drop during the middle of the week.

But, the kids are old enough now to remove the cover themselves, and my mother in law can watch them, so I would like to keep the chemical levels more consistent so they can swim during the week in the summer.

To get to my question, wondering if the 36 is big enough, since the pool is covered most of the time, or if it worth the extra money to get the 48?

I would like to minimize the investment (to keep the SO happy), but want a nice system that I will be happy with.

TIA
Randy

The alphanumeric display on the Digital model is very nice. The Digital model is also capable of turning the pump on and off on a schedule, so you wouldn't have to have a separate timer. You have to decide how much those features are worth to you. They were certainly worth it to me.

Getting a larger cell costs more up front, but the larger cell will normally last longer so the total cost over time should be just slightly lower.

JasonLion said:
The alphanumeric display on the Digital model is very nice. The Digital model is also capable of turning the pump on and off on a schedule, so you wouldn't have to have a separate timer. You have to decide how much those features are worth to you. They were certainly worth it to me.

Getting a larger cell costs more up front, but the larger cell will normally last longer so the total cost over time should be just slightly lower.

Thanks.
I guess I should have also mentioned that I just bought an Intermatic iwave timer, transmitter and remote control. The display in my Raypak heater just died (for the 2nd time, but this time the warranty has expired). It was going to cost $300 to buy a replacement LCD control, so I decided to spend a little extra, and put in a wireless remote control system.

Bottom line is that I won't use the digital model to control the pump, I have that covered.

I guess I will spring for the larger cell, as I would like it to last longer.

Randy

randytsuch said:
I have been looking into alternative sanitizer for a little while. Was considering ionizers, ozonizers, but I think I will go with a SWG.

I have an older pool, with copper pipes, we refinished a few years ago with fiberglass, about 23,000 gals, and we have a semi automatic safety cover on it.

After a little more research, I am leaning towards the autopilot, but not sure which model I should go for.

Wondering if the digital is worth the extra money over a LED model?

Also trying to figure out what size to get. Because the pool is covered, I don't use a lot of chlorine. I have been using Leslie's power powder to shock, and chlor brite for normal use. We mostly use the pool on weekends, so I have just been shocking it late Sunday, if it needs it, and then I add some chlorine on Thurs and Fri, to get it ready for the weekend. With the cover, algae has not been a problem, even if chlorine levels drop during the middle of the week.

To get to my question, wondering if the 36 is big enough, since the pool is covered most of the time, or if it worth the extra money to get the 48?

TIA
Randy

I think you would be very happy with the digital as it reads out the various SWG settings as well as salt levels. Allows you to trend easier and change settings to anticipate and the cost is not that much higher. As for cell size, everyone says to buy bigger. The cell ratings are based on running your pump 24hr/day in mid summer. Since you do not need to run your pump longer than 10-12hr per day for filtering rqmts, you need to have a cell rated high enough for the lower pump run times. So an SC-48 should be big enough for a 24000gal pool. Getting the bigger size cell also equates to longer cell life since it will run less time.

You can find internet dealers (including one on this forum)that sell at less than retail and save substantially and some of them price match so do your homework

donaldm823 said:
You can find internet dealers (including one on this forum)that sell at less than retail and save substantially and some of them price match so do your homework

Word of advice, not really pool specific. Don't ask the seller to match the price, always ask them to beat it or throw in something extra like free shipping. There is no point in buying at the same price you can buy elsewhere ;)

:roll: :lol:
Hi guys
Emoticons courtesy of my 8 year old daughter

Thanks for the replys.
I have been doing some research on the net, looking for the best price for an autopilot. At the place that had the best prices, the 60 is only about $50 more than the 48, so I will probably pay the extra, and get the 60.

I only have to decide if I want to pay the difference for the digital model. I probably will.

I talked to the forum sponser that sells SWG's, and they agreed to price match. It was a significantly less than their asking price, so I didn't ask for it any cheaper. I am actually making out, because I think I will save on sales tax. The place with the best price is in Cal, so I have to pay tax with them.

Just need to get my finance director to approve this :-D . She suggested a SWG in the first place, so I don't expect a problem.

Randy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.