Pump tripping breaker - any ideas?

If it were me, I would take the motor to one more place to be tested before I replaced it. When it spins freely but hums and blows the breaker, it is usually the capacitor, which is about a 15 minute repair job and a $25 part. Worth checking. Unless you just want a new motor...

Bama Rambler said:
That is the right motor but you can get it cheaper at [url]www.pumpwarehouse.com[/url]. You need either a ST1102 if you want to stay with a single speed or a STS1102R if you want to change it to a 2-speed to save money on electric costs.

Sorry for digging up this old post but it is relevant to a problem I am now experiencing.

I started my pool pump two days ago after being idle since I winterized my pool in the fall. At first the pump would not start, so, I had to pull the motor end and manually turn the shaft to break it free. Once I did this the motor started perfectly.

This morning I stopped outside and found my motor to be operating very loudly almost screaming. I assume my motor is going out?

It is an AO Smith C48K2N143B1.

Any suggestions before I purchase a new motor? Also. The post I quoted referenced pumpwarehouse.com with a part number ST1102 as a replacement for my motor. Their site does not confirm this being the same motor. Is it for sure the correct motor?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Yours is most likely a bearing and if you catch it in time, you can replace it without much trouble. That's where I'd start.

It's for sure the right part. There should be another number on the motor just before that part number you listed. You can use that to find the replacement motors.

Bama Rambler said:
Yours is most likely a bearing and if you catch it in time, you can replace it without much trouble. That's where I'd start.

It's for sure the right part. There should be another number on the motor just before that part number you listed. You can use that to find the replacement motors.

Thanks much, but, is replacing bearings a fairly simple procedure? Where could I obtain instructions?

bamm said:
Thanks much, but, is replacing bearings a fairly simple procedure? Where could I obtain instructions?
This isn't a pool pump, but it's close enough for your purposes.

Tools wise, you'd need to buy a 3 leg puller ($15 from Harbor Freight Tools), a nipple of black pipe to tap the bearing back on ($3 from any hardware/home store), and the replacement bearings (probably less than $10 each at Grainger).

For the 3 leg puller you might stop by a auto parts store. Most of the chain stores have loaner tools, put down a deposit and get the deposit back when you return the tool.

Yes, there's a bearing at both ends.

You'll need a shaft seal in the pump and once you have the end bells off the motor you'll see the bearings. They're fairly easy to replace.

If you have a Motion Industries close they'll have the bearings in stock but they may not have the shaft seal. Then again they might! :)

Thanks again.

I am starting to wonder, at least for me, if it would be easier to just replace the entire motor/pump assembly.

It has been is use summer seasons only since 2008, when our pool was built, 24 hours per day.

The assembly is a Hayward model SP2607X10

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who would have the best price?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that I have shut-off my pump/ motor to prevent further damage until I can replace the bearings, my pool water will not be circulating for at least 2-3 days.

Will my water stay clear without being filtered? Also, with no circulation my SWG is not making chlorine. should I add any chemicals or will the water be ok for a few days?

I did put my solar cover on.

bamm said:
Now that I have shut-off my pump/ motor to prevent further damage until I can replace the bearings, my pool water will not be circulating for at least 2-3 days.

Will my water stay clear without being filtered? Also, with no circulation my SWG is not making chlorine. should I add any chemicals or will the water be ok for a few days?

I did put my solar cover on.

I'll regurgitate a JasonLion answer from another thread: You can put bleach in so long as you brush the entire pool to mix it in, as long as you're doing maintenance only. If you're aiming for shock levels of FC, not a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.