Pump/Heater Automation..

Apr 21, 2010
http://www.swimmingpooltimeswitch.com/CD-104P-201.html

I'm looking for a timer to control my pump and heater. I'm assuming this is it above. My general goal would be to have the ability to have the pump run maybe twice daily to clean/heat the pool - with the ability to manually override, of course.

I have a Hayward NG heater that is about 8 years old and a Hayward Super pump. (DE filter, although not sure it matters). The heater has a domed top and an electronic panel that has (IIRC) a touchpad for Pool and Spa (we don't have a spa) and up and down arrows to set water temperature. That's about it. Both are hard-wired into a circuit panel in the pool house.

I'm generally handy DIY'er but not an electrical expert. I'm curious about a few things.

a) what do I need to know to get the right timer?
b) how difficult is this job?
c) I can understand the pump working on the timer, but not sure about the heater. Do you hook this up and just leave the heater set to ON and it will turn on when the timer sends it power?
d) Are there other options? Can I get a timer that is controlled by an iphone or ipad? (That would be ideal and worth the extra money - would be cool to attach lights to it as well)

Thoughts? Help? Thanks in advance.

Follow up question. I have a timer hanging on my wall in my basement that used to control an old sprinkler system. Looks like an Intermatic, actually.

There is a chance that that would work for simply controlling the pump, right?

Sounds like what you're really wanting is an automation system.

That timer will run your pump and heater but it's mechanical and therefore has no smarts.

Intermatic makes a 'Multiwave' system but I'm not sure that's what you want.

Tell us the model of the old timer.

Another option, obviously.. http://www.smarthome.com/42659/Intermat ... 2AE45E4593

There is not currently a timer on my system. To be clear, I'd ideally like an iphone operated system, but I'll accept a mechanical timer in the meantime if an iphone solution is too unreliable/expensive, etc. at this time. I'd also be fine with a pump-only automated control if I couldn't integrate the heater for now. The daily run to turn the pump on/off for simple cleaning is the real hassle.

But it would be pretty cool to be away and be able to fire up the pump and heater remotely. Not sure what I'd pay for that, but open to exploring. :)

Saw this too http://www.smarthome.com/2412N/SmartLin ... ler/p.aspx and wondering how I could integrate something like that.

The more basic question is the one about the heater. Is the automation aspect simply interrupting the circuit? Can you leave a heater in an on/heating position and put a switch on the wall to turn it off and on?

Bama Rambler said:
It's called a fireman's switch. You leave the heater on and when the switch is open it won't run. You're not powering the heater on and off you're just opening and closing the control switch.

Yeah we are saying the same thing, I think.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.