HELP - Thinking of getting rid of our IntelliFlo VS-3050

Oct 30, 2010
Highland, MI
All,

We have an IntelliFlo VS-3050 with SVRS and one main drain, one skimmer, 2 main returns, 2 jetted steps and 3 deck jets. We also have a solar system on our roof.

I love the flow we get out of the IntelliFlo at max speed and how it works well with our Easytouch. But I absolutely can not stand all the priming issues with this thing. Our pump is about 50 feet from the pool and a few feet above the water level. It can take some time to prime which is fine but we get dry priming errors every 30 seconds or so when it is priming. Then it shuts down and as fast as I am at clearing the error and getting it going again we lose all the suction. It is so annoying. Also, it is so touchy when it senses air bubbles when vacuuming or if the skimmer sucks up some air, etc. The SVRS is just as bad. If a kid is playing around with one of the returns and the pump senses the slightest change in pressure or suction it shuts down. It will auto restart but that is pointless as I will get the dry priming error at times.

I think a 2-speed is all I need. What do you suggest that would work with our automation, still give me the top speed flow if the 3hp VSP, and not give me anymore headaches.

Mike

Forgot to mention we also have an IC40 SWG. the VSP is nice as I can set the slowest speed and still allow the SWG to function. This speed changes if the solar is active or not, as well as if the deck jets are on and how clogged to filter is. My hope is the the low speed on a 2-speed would be adequate enough to keep the SWG going?

We have a similar set up like yours. (Easy Tough, VS3050, solar on roof automated by ET, deck jets, pump about 50' from the pool, 2 drains, 1 skimmer, 3 returns) We do not have the problem you describe though. We're really happy with ours, so I'm wondering hoe your system is losing it's prime as that does not happen on our rig. Is prime being lost through the solar or some other means? About the only time I need to prime is when I clean the filters and all water above the water line in the pool drains down, and even then it is not an every time thing.

Aloha MSchmidt33!

Priming issues can often be solved by installing a one-way check valve just just before the entry port of the pump (hopefully you have room to cut the pipe and put one in). The ones with clear covers and red flaps work great at holding the water right up next to the pump, even when you clean out the leaf basket of the pump. Priming is then quick and easy. If you have a valve on the return pipe, that also helps to hold water up in the pump/filter area when doing work...just don't forget to open it before you turn your pump back on!

But if you have a leak up high (roof mounted solar panels?), you will need to find that leak and fix it. If it is on the pressure side (after the pump) you should see a water leak while the pump is running. Sometimes you can hear pressure-side leaks whistle after the pump shuts off, as they will suck in air while the water is returning to your pool through the pipes.

Hope that helps!

Aloha!

Thanks for the check valve tip! We did have some leaks in the solar when installing it. All appear to be sealed now. We also cracked the filter gauge this winter so I have a small pressure side leak right now. Though, I'm bypassing the filter right now so it should not be an issue. I also don't see many air bubbles in the basket so I assume there are no suction side leaks. Water level was never an issue last year so I assume this is not a problem. I will keep digging into it some more but wish there was a way to tell the VS-3050 to prime longer before giving the error.

Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.