Algae is gone, but the water is not right....

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
Yesterday we decided to get our first swim in as the water was finally warm. The kids complaint that the water seemed to irritate their eyes a bit. Mine did as well. The water also had a strong oder. It smelled like chlorine, but not quite.
I shocked last week and the SWG had been on at 35%. I also dumped a bunch of liquid CYA to get it up.

I tested the water today.

FC: 25
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA: 100 (finally down)
CYA: 70

I am not sure if the FC is no hight to swim or the pH is a bit low or a combo. I am leaving the SWG and solar cover off until thursday or Friday to get the FC down. I also lowered the water by 1" to get the skimmer flowing better.

Sounds like the right plan? Should I wait until the FC is under 12 to swim? Should be a day or two in the hot Florida sun right now.

The two things that usually are irritating are CC's and pH outta whack.

The pH could very well be too low because testing when FC is bove 10 can skew the test to read a false high.

Because you smell a strong odor kinda like chlorine, it makes me suspicious of algae/organics.

The water was probably above shock level yesterday and not a good idea to swim.
Always test before you swim and know what you are getting into.

My suggestion is, first, run the OCLT (SWG off) to rule out organics.

If we assume that all of the phenol red has been converted into chlorophenol red, then the following conversion can give you an idea of the true pH.

Apparent......Actual

If only part of the phenol red was converted into chlorophenol red, then the true pH would be somewhere between the two numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.