Main Pump Problem

Dec 16, 2011
Hello all. I recently purchased a house with a pool that is going from it's green state to clear. It's a large in ground pool and spa currently running off of one 2 HP motor. The motor was bad and was replaced prior to starting the cleanup process.

All was going well until I decided to remove and clean the DE filter the second time. After putting everything back together and attempting to prime the pump.. The the air in the pump basket wont go away. I stuck a hose in the feed line and opened just the skimmer, water seemed like it was flowing nicely. I added water into the pump basket. Lubed it up well and put the cover back on tight. When turning the pump on it moves water just not as strong as it once did, and the basket wont fill up fully with water. I get the same problem when running the pump on Filter or Recirc so I assume it has nothing to do with my cleaning of the filter. I used the next door neighboor's pool guy to do the new motor install and flaged him down again to see if he had any sugestions. He also is at a loss. :?

Any sugestions?

Thanks

You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pool skimmer and the pump, you are sucking air into the system. Once you find that leak, it will prime normally.

Check everything that you might have loosened or changed when you cleaned the filter....but the leak is not in or around the filter as that is the pressure side of the system.

I didn't touch anything on the suction side. I guess it's just bad luck. However it happens with any inlet open.

I would assume with that much air on such a high HP pump I should feel some air suction on the pipes from the valves to the pump basket, but I dont. Is there any trick to narrow it down? The section of pipe it's coming from isn't that long: (Since it happens on any inlet I assume its from between the valves to the basket?)

IMG_1.jpg

The O-ring on the pump basket lid is the most common. Check the drain plug(s) at the bottom of the basket. Cracked joints. Is water high enough in the pool so skimmer is not sucking air? Possibly those valves but I would inspect them last.

There is plenty of water in the pool above the skimmer level. I'm out of town until next week so I will check what you recommended upon my return. The O ring on the pump basket is clean, lubed and brand new.

Would I be able to feel the suction on the leak? Is it going to be that strong or is it unnoticeable?

With the pump running and sucking air, use a garden hose to pour water on various suspect areas. If you hit an air leak, the water will get sucked in instead of air, and the air leak will stop as long as you are pouring water on the leak.

I would first suspect the threaded fitting that screws into the front of the pump. The three-way Jandy valves are also a possibility. Perhaps the Valve Cover O-ring (Part number R0465700), or the two valve shaft O-rings (part number R0487100).

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/8cf ... f3a979/212

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Produc ... alves.aspx

SOLVED:

The problem ended up being a bad impeller. Apparently the blades ended up getting worn down by some small sticks that ended up getting through the old pump basket. New impeller installed and pump functions normal now.

Pump does not start, hear humming sound

Sorry, to post on this thread. For some reason I don't see button to create a new thread or post new message.
Need help. I just open my pool and removed all the plugs and turned all the valve and tried starting the pump. Pump makes humming sound and switches off. I do notice that it is getting very hot on the surface.
Can you please tell me how solve this problem. Hope the pump still good. I am guessing the sand filter is still empty even after opening all the valve. Please let me know. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.