deck surround

RITZMOON

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
South Carolina
NWMNMom

Could you please add an up close picture of your pool and deck. I would love to see how you built the surround trim that is on hinges and lifts up where the deck meets the pool ledge. I had a wooden deck put in around my 27' round ag pool, put the carpenter didn't leave me a good clean (somewhat straight edge on the deck) In other words the deck curves like a snake around the pool edge and it is driving me crazy.

also if anyone knows of trim kit that would work around the round pool that would be great.

thanks so much

Ritzmoon (J)

WELL, if it wasn't covered in snow I would go out there and take pics now. I'm not sure we have pictures of the edging. Ours is composite decking but the designs are basically the same for wood vs composite. We built exactly level with the top rail and set the deck far enough away from the edge of the pool to get in there and secure covers, etc. The edging is pretty darn simple, it is an overlapped 10" (facia) board which was laid flat to overlap both the end of the deck and the top rail of the pool. Because we are at the curved end of the pool, we cut the ends of these on diagnals to "fit" together and then put the hinges on the decks side so the boards flip up and away from the pool rail. VERY handy, looks nice and finished. Is it a possible toe stubber? maybe, but nobody has stubbed their toe yet so not a big deal. The drop in steps are actually secured to one of these hinged finish boards, but then we don't need to be messing with the rail area when the steps are in - only at start up and closing - steps are out of the pool and stored away then anyways.

BTW, I'm gonna toot my own horn here - I did NOT get that idea from anywhere except my deviant little mind, so if you see it somewhere else later, just remember this MOM thunk it up first. My hubby was sceptical at first, but impressed later. I've seen too many people have issues with getting at their top rail because of the deck design and I'm just looking for the easy way out. lol.

Thanks for the information

I feel ashamed that i would ask for a picture when your deck is covered in snow. I live in SC and we are in the high 60's to 70's so i am starting to get pool fever. Actually my pool and deck project spanned from October to late Feb. so i am anxious to get my pool and outdoor area functional and to be able to actually jump in that pool.

When the snow melts and the tempature rises would you please send the picture of your great, and fabulous invention. I am trying to envision it and still missing the picture. my decking sits down below the bottom of the pool ledge edge (tongue twister there) , so i am thinking maybe and L shaped trim might be best.

anyway thanks for speedy reply and i will be thinking of you and your snow.

anyone else have ideas or inventions for the same issue.

Thanks all and happy sledding or swimming depending on your local.
Ritzmoon (J)

Me Too

NWMNMOM,

I was also curious to see your setup since I am planning on starting my deck project as soon as the ground thaws. Now that you've described it in words, I think I "get it" without the pictures now. I had erroneously assumed you placed some sort of structural material on the underside of this to "lock" the header in the horizontal position by butting up against a joist header. Now I understand that you simply use the top rail itself to support that hinged board. Very clever! What kind of top rail do you have? I think my Vogue Impact states that it is OK to setp/walk on the top rail, so this idea should work.

I doubt my inspector will go for that though, but I could always plan for that upgrade to happen after the inspection!

Decking on Rail

Mudrider,

I was just in Michigan's upper penninsula this past weekend and I actually went snowmobiling (not far) on Saturday - there's still snow in the northern extremes of the country! However, the weather seems to be warm enough such that the end is in sight.

In the mean time, I think I understand how this works, so I'll describe it in words as best I can.

The deck boards are as close to level as possible with the top rail of the pool. The decking comes up to the top rail, but stops short of the pool in the horizontal plane - maybe an inch or two from the pool's railing (and like I said, the same height). Then, a 10" wide header board is hinged to the deck which essentially extends the decking to the water's edge. This header board is most likely a piece of fascia material, or something with the same thickness (height, in this case) as the decking itself. The header board is supported on the bottom side by the top rail itself.

Since the header is most likely rectangular, it won't fit precisely around a rounded dimension of the pool, but you could probably cut the pieces small enough and leave gaps such that it's "close enough".

You shouldn't try this if your pool rail isn't rated for being stepped on, but otherwise it's a neat way to build your deck over your pool rail and also allows the last piece of decking to be folded up away from the pool, allowing access to the pool railing.

ok i think i got the idea. i was looking at my pool manual and i couldnt find anything about the top rail being able to handle the weight of being stepped on or sat on. how can i find out?? the place where i got the pool from has no idea either.

I hate to tell you it will be OK and have something bad happen later. So, with this disclosure, that you'll have to judge for yourself whether your rails are strong enough, I'll give you my thoughts.

Having a board lay on the rail will distribute a person's weight more than their foot alone.
If the manual doesn't say to NOT step on the top rail (to protect the rail itself, or the wall), it's probably fine to do this.

Of course, NWMNMOM would be the better person to advise as she has some mile on this setup.

And perhaps contacting the pool manufacturer directly will give you some useful information. I still haven't decided yet whether I will do this or not. I'm using PVC decking and so cannot have much of an overhang for the decking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok some pictures - snow is gone, ice is still in there but melting. Some pics were taken in the process of building, some are today with the winter cover still on.

Below is before the fold up sections are added

deck1.jpg

Below is how it looks in one section - the final portion on the corner is not on yet

deck7.jpg

Here is a pic that shows from the other end of the pool or side and how it sits pretty flush on the rail (8" rail)

deck5.jpg

Here is a pic from just now that shows how the hinges were installed

deck4.jpg

Below is another bit that shows how it sits across the rail and what it looks like with the deck. It does have a contrast in how the material lays but it does look finished and pretty good on there. It works SO nicely when its time to maintain something along that edge - read winter cover or removing a rail to re- work the liner.

deck6.jpg

Truthfully, there really is just not that much weight ever put on that portion of deck/rail so I'm not in the least bit concerned that it will damage the rail or wall or whatever. People rarely stand at the edge there for anything - think about your traditional decks - how many people stand at the very edge for any period of time or ever? At my house, about never so its a non issue. This does not put any weight on the rail itself - its really just decorative in nature and convenient as a bonus!

Thanks so much for the pictures

NWMNMom

I really appreciate the close up picture. Your pool looks so neat and professional. Could i trouble you for a close up of your solar panel stand. I have just purchased some and plan on mounting on a vinyl fence but not sure if it will hold them without some additional support. I can tell either you are your hubby (or both) are very talented.

appreciate all ideas. When i get my pool ungreen i will also take some pictures.

Thanks again
J

We mounted those on a pvc based panel system. 2" pvc set into the ground with concrete about 18-20" - then they rise up to 54" - at that point they slant back at 45 degree angle 4 ft - the entire portion the panels lay on is pvc and wood framed with chicken wire overlay so the panels lay on top - are secured with black bungies and plumbed/piped with pvc to the hoses and diverter. We also mounted bracing from the back of the system to the ground to add support. The first pic shows a side view before all the bracing was complete. The second shows the panels, bracing (painted white) and plumbing (the panels are plumbed parallell rather than in a series) Make sense? My hubbie does the work, I designed it. Boy, when I get paper out and start sketching designs he rolls his eyes and hides.

DCP_0442.jpg

DCP_0445.jpg

SOLAR PANEL MOUNT

NWMNMoM

Thanks so much for the snappy response, the great pictures and the detailed information. I truly feel like i can do this.

You are a true GEM, even if your dear hubby rolls his eyes and hides from your great inventions. I say you make a great team.

Janet

WELLL, you haven't seen my solar blanket reel yet then have you???? lol. Another DIY project. We just don't seem to like the standard stuff we can buy out there. lol. I'll get some pics of that too.

The solar panel thing though was borne out of sheer requirement - we have a little cul de sac where the pool had to be or no pool the area is surrounded by trees so the amount of room on the south side of the pool for solar panels was not really there due to shade. So, we mounted them on the north side, up at that angle as you can see.
The setup kind of reminds me of a pergola from the underside/back. I hang the pool tools, hoses, brushes and some pretty flower pots off of the back/underside of it. Works very nicely and heats the pool just fine (almost too much by July)

Thank you. I love my pool, I do all the maintenance and work (once it was built thanks to DH)

Those are Fafco 4x20 solar panels. Yeppers, they heat that pool quite nicely! We usually install them when danger of nightly freezing is past - by then the ambient water temps are around 65 degrees. Three good full sunny days even in the 70s range and we can have our water up over 80 degrees. Free heat after panel purchase. They paid for themselves the first few weeks. By mid July when the water ends up higher than 84-86 degrees where we prefer it we then run the pump and panels at night to cool off the pool.

NWMNMom
on the solar heater is there much loss on the return pressure back to the pool?

how did you mount the panels to the pvc pipe?
would it be better to have support under the panels vs them to be able to sag?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.