Making a vacuum out of a Hayward 1HP pool pump (first post)

Apr 17, 2012
Hello, great site. Sorry if this question has been asked and answered but I thought I would start my first post with something that happened today.

I bought a re-built 1HP Hayward pool pump (gold cover). I got a great deal and now I know why. The pump runs strong, but the water inlet has some threads missing. So, no matter how much tape and puddy I put on the threads, it still squirts a little water when I try to filter and run the pump. So, having a full pool and no time to find something to fix the problem with, I put a new pump on the pool. Now I have a Hayward pump with a little leak.

I thought the Hayward pump would make a good vacuum since I have two pools I take care of.

1st question: Will this work? If so, how should I fix it up?

2nd question: If this will work, does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the leak? I thought of leaving the existing threaded pvc with tape in the inlet and completely cover it with some sort of high grade caulk or maybe pool puddy. Since I can also get inside of the trap, I thought I would coat the inside of the inlet as well. Think it stop the leak good enough for a vacuum?

Thanks in advance.

jed

Re: Making a vacuum out of a Hayward 1HP pool pump (first po

I thought the Hayward pump would make a good vacuum since I have two pools I take care of.
Welcome to the forum. :lol: What will you vacuum the water into? i.e. what will catch the dirt you vacuum up?

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol: What will you vacuum the water into? i.e. what will catch the dirt you vacuum up?

Not sure if I'm answering your question, but the basket will catch the big stuff and I was planning to run a drain line out in the yard for the rest. I know it is going to pump fast, but I usually vacuum to waste anyway. I was also going to try to restrict the inlet just a little (maybe reduce down to inch) so I would not pump so much water, but I'm not sure that would work either.

Thanks, jed

Glue in a hose adaptor to the suction.

Then use an MTA coming out of the pump to a 90 and then into a valve. You don't want to restrict the suction, as that would be easily clogged by vacuumed debris. You want to control the suction by restricting the outlet, as the water coming out of the outlet will only have particles small enough to fit through the basket holes.

JamesW said:
Glue in a hose adaptor to the suction.

Then use an MTA coming out of the pump to a 90 and then into a valve. You don't want to restrict the suction, as that would be easily clogged by vacuumed debris. You want to control the suction by restricting the outlet, as the water coming out of the outlet will only have particles small enough to fit through the basket holes.

Thank you very much. Okay. I understand the valve part on the outlet to restrict how much water will flow. Excellent....I did not think of that, but what is "MTA" mean?

One other thing. Right now the pump has a fitting screwed into the inlet with about 7 inches of PVC pipe (where we cut it out when we saw it leaking). What if I put a fitting on the end of the pipe (cut end) and screw the hose adaptor you showed to that? Would be the same, right? Unless the glued-in you mentioned was to help stop the leak I have.

Thanks

Been talking to a few people about my pump issue (leaking water around the inlet). As it turns out, some say I could salvage my Hayward pump and fix the leaking water. However, the pool company said it would be a temporary fix, but they also sold me the new pump.

So, here's the problem: on the threaded inlet to the pool pump, the bottem part of the female threads is missing. It is smooth on the bottom (about an inch worth). The rest of the threads are okay. We tried wrapping some extra teflon tape around it, but it still spit water when we turned on the pump. I thought about some kind of compression fitting, caulking the inside and outside with something like Lexel, pool putty, silicone, etc. The glue idea (by another poster) sounded better, but I'm not sure that would hold either. After I glue, it's there. The pool man tried to re-tap the threads and that made it worse.

Should I stay with the new pump and not worry about trying to fix this one to go on the pool (make it a vacuum instead)?

Anyone with any experience or advice would be great.

Thanks, jed

ps I would post photos but I don't think I've been a member long enough.

[s:2p3t7b02]Have you looked into just buying a front casing?[/s:2p3t7b02] Just looked it up $150 :shock:
Use a photo hosting site like Photobucket and there's no limit.

That's a thermoplastic housing so glue won't work for very long if at all. You can weld it, Or you can get a bulkhead fitting and drill out the threaded part of the hub.

If you've already got a new pump stick with that one. Not worth worrying 24/7 if the pipes going to spray water everywhere and drain your pool.

Do you live in an area where you get alot of leaves in the pool??

I'm probably going to keep the new pump unless the pool installation crew does not get their butt back out and fix a new problem they created.

I got up this morning ready to flip the switch on my new pump and new plumbing job. I had water gushing from the ground. They did not plumb the return line. The water was back-flowing from the return lines to an open pipe just under the surface, under some leaves/straw. They told me yesterday that the bottom drain and skimmers were plumbed under ground so only two pipe would be visible (return and skimmers/bottom drain). They were wrong. The pool was down to the returns so we couldn't circulate. What a mess. The whole thing is plumbed wrong. I've been digging for the last 2 hours trying to get down deep enough to attach a coupling and cut off valve so I could put water back in the pool. I had to let it drain down to the return lines before I could install the cut off valve. I got it filling back up now. Pool crew said they would try to get back out tommorrow and fix the problem. And NO, I haven't paid anything yet.

Back to the pump question. Still planning on making the old Hayward a pool vacuum. I am putting a valve on each end of the pump so I can control the flow to get it just right. Thanks for advice.

jed

You shouldn't put a valve on the suction. Putting a valve on the outlet will give you full control over the suction.

If you can get a threaded fitting to screw into the suction inlet, with no looseness, gluing it in should work. Glue the inside and outside threads and screw it all of the way in. Allow the glue 24 hours to dry before using.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

JamesW said:
You shouldn't put a valve on the suction. Putting a valve on the outlet will give you full control over the suction.

If you can get a threaded fitting to screw into the suction inlet, with no looseness, gluing it in should work. Glue the inside and outside threads and screw it all of the way in. Allow the glue 24 hours to dry before using.

Got it. Thanks. One more question if you don't mind. This pump is 220/110 (actually says 230/120 I think). I want to make this so I can run a drop cord to it. If I understand correctly, I just unplug a small plum from the where it says 230 and then plug into the 120, correct. Then I can just attach my two wires (plus the ground) and tie into a male plug, right?

thanks in advance. jed

Finally got it wired (110/120) correctly. Here's the finished product. Nothing fancy. I put the vacuum hose on the front end and the exit hose in the cut off or just leave it and let it spray. Tried it today and it pumped pretty good. I did not vacuum--just sucked some water to see if it would work.

Attachments

• Hayward vacuum.jpg
    Hayward vacuum.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 175

How do you plan on filtering the water? Do you plan on using it with a leaf canister during opening or do you have some other way to filter??

Leebo said:
How do you plan on filtering the water? Do you plan on using it with a leaf canister during opening or do you have some other way to filter??

The leaf canister is what I was thinking unless I can build something. I guess the pump basket will pick up the big stuff (after opening pool) and the small particles should go out the exit. I need to come up with something ..... emptying that small basket is going to be a pain. I would like to try to build some mesh/stocking, etc. ,but I haven't got that far yet.

Any ideas?

JamesW said:
Looks good. You can get some 2" vinyl discharge hose to run the waste water to a convenient spot.

Yep, saw some of that a Walmart the other day. I suppose vacuuming a little dirt through the pump won't hurt.

DBfan187 said:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/portable-pool-vacuum-filter-system-t27770.html?hilit=portable%20vacuum

Outstanding! May have to try that when I get more involved. Thanks for the link......I missed it on my search.

jed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.