New Install/Setup Questions, Questions, and more Questions!

Apr 11, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo
Hey everyone,

OK, we are still a good month or better away from getting our new pool, but I want to be fully prepared when the time comes.. :whoot:

I will be asking all my questions here as I think of them, (mostly the more I read here the more questions I may have, lol).

Ok let's get started:

I know allot of things I need to know I can find in "Pool School", (have been there several times already).

So questions

I am already planning to pay my dues here, (Become a Supporter.. :-D ), and then order the TF-100 kit.

1: Are there any options or additional items you suggest I get with the kit?

I have never had our well water tested, but I do know it is Very Hard, tons of lime, calcium, iron, and no telling what else.
We had to put in a whole house water softener just to keep from buying new water heaters every couple of years.

2: When we first fill the pool are there any suggestions/recommendations on how to treat the water, or anything else we should do before jumping in?...(Let it warm up is of course top of the list, lol, that well water is Coldddddddddd).

3: Is the hard water going to be an issue, as in make it harder to keep things good, or will it make things easier, or make no difference? From reading a few topics it seems like having the hard water may work in my favor?

I was planning to buy the "Heritage Wide Mouth Pool Skimmer" when I order the pool, it is $34.00, but from everything I can see or find about this skimmer it doesn't have a screw in hose connector on the bottom so I can hard pipe to it.

HeritageWideMouthPoolSkimmer.jpg

4: So has anyone used this skimmer, if so am I correct about hard piping it?
5: Am I better off spending a few more bucks and getting the Hayard skimmer?
6: Does the Hayward skimmer usually come with the eyeball return assy?
7: Where is the best place to buy the Hayward skkimmer and other Hayward parts I will be wanting?

I know the pump/filter that comes with the Intex pool is not the best, but will have to make due with it for this year at least, (the pump/filter that came with the old 16' Quick Set held up pretty good, still works even if the pool is trash).

I plan to upgrade the pump/filter system in the future, so knowing where to purchase Hayward products at the best price will be a big help.

Here is a rough drawing of how we plan to build the deck around the pool, and where the metal shed for our wood furnace and pump/filter will be housed.

Master_Layout_2-S_O.jpg

Has anyone hard piped their pool equipment very far from the pool?

The shed in this drawing puts the pool equipment about 10 to 15 feet from the pool.

We have a 1" supply line running to the house so we are planning to tap the main supply line and run it out to the shed as 1" to supply fill/maintain water level in the pool by going thru the return line.

We are going to bury all the new hard lines from the pool and back below the frost line to the shed, and insulate the lines where they come out of the ground to the pool itself.

The shed will stay warm thru the winter months via the wood furnace, but will also have a thermostat controlled outlet to plug in a small heater just incase the fire goes out and the temps should fall close to freezing, all together this should provide a year round plumbing system that shouldn't freeze, plus we are planning to build a pool heater into the wood furnace to keep the pool heated in the winter, along with a DIY solar system for early spring thru late fall when it is not cold enough to build a fire in the furnace.

ok enough for now.

Thanks

Re: New Install/Setup Questions, Questions, and more Questio

Make your big decisions first. I would suggest you price out hauling in water instead of using well water.

Starting with water you know is troublesome and combining that with Intex pump and filter that are also VERY troublesome and you may have big problems off the bat.

Hauling in water will solve those problems but you'll have to see if you can justify that cost. Once filled, your water softener from the house can provide refill water for the pool.

Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hauling in water is not an option, I just got a quote yesterday to have some screenings 3/8- rock hauled out here to help build my base, the price of the screenings is $2.50/ton, so 16 ton comes to $40.00, and they wanted $155.00 to haul it out here, 20-25 miles from the quarry to our house.

Besides that I am not even sure where I could get the water from that it was not as bad or worse than our well water in this area!

Fuel prices have run hauling costs thru the roof, my other half has shut down his logging truck and other equipment due to fuel costs.

Like I said I know we have hard water, but I also know when we were using the old pool we didn't have allot of problems, but then I didn't know all the help was here back then either, (I did make a bunch of bad things back then, lol) so I am just trying to make sure I am as prepared as possible this time, big difference in paying $175.00 for a 16' Quick Set, and $699.00 for the new 22 footer.

Thanks

Okay, since you are committed to using your well water, you need to test it and see what problems, if any, you will face.

It may not be as bad as you think or it may be worse but because your filtration and pump are not going to be very good, you need to find out what you have to deal with.

Dave,

k, thanks mch.

Where would you suggest I could take a sample of my well water now and get a "Good" trusted test ran on it so I can post the results here, and get some advice ahead of time?

Will the county health department or state do water testing?

Thanks

Buy your own test kit ... see my signature. That will get you most of what you need to know and will be needed for your pool anyway. Maybe have a pool store test for metals.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

Jason,

Thanks for the reply.

I had actually thought about using the pool test kit but wasn't sure if that would give me the information I would need as far as the pool goes, not sure if there could be minerals in the well water that might need something different to deal with them.

I am already planning to have the test kit on hand before the pool is filled... :goodjob:

While I am at it, how much BBB should I have on hand when the pool is full?

Anything else I should have on hand when it gets full, or put in while it is filling?

I realize I may be asking stupid questions, but I want to get this new pool off to a proper start from the get go, as I have already stated, after reading here I made tons of mistakes with the old pool.

Thanks

Try playing with the poolcalculator.com (see signature). Input your pool size at the top, you pool type at the bottom, and your tap water levels on the left. You will see suggested targets for each level and when you put in you goal, it will tell you what you would need to add to adjust that level.

The first things you will want to do is adjust your pH, get some CYA in the pool and then maintain your FC in the recommended range.

Other things like CH and TA take less priority especially in a vinyl pool.

If you have metals in your water, you may need to add something to try to pull them out, but I am not sure what and when that is recommended.

Jason,

Again thanks for the prompt reply, :-D

This is the kind of information I m looking for and I certainly appreciate your time and advice.

It looks like the pool purchase just got pushed back a couple of weeks, we were planning to buy a metal shed to house the furnace and the pool equipment but after we got the pool, it was an 8' x 10' for $298.00 + tax.

Well I was thumbing thru our local farm supply sales ad this evening and they have a 10' x 10' metal shed on sale for half price this week for $249.00, plus on Wed, being over 55 we get 10% back on a gift card kinda thing, so that makes the price $224.10 out the door, (we have a sales tax exempt account there for our farm).

So buying what we need is gonna end up going backwards, lol, but saving $60.00+ for a bigger shed is worth the wait. :whoot:

Oh and I already have $17.00 on my gift card thingy, so once I buy the shed I will get that 10% put on the card, then I will turn around and buy 20 landscape timbers for $40.00 + 0 tax, using what I have on the card those will be free, but I will turn around and get $4.00 (10% from the timbers), put back on the card...looks like tomorrow is gonna be a good day.. :party:

I will have to check their prices on pool supplies while I am up there also, they are usually pretty good on their prices but if someone local has a sale on the same item they will price match, and with no sales tax there it is my store of choice, lol.

Nothing beats saving money, (almost like extreme couponing, lol)

Can I rattle or what, giggles.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

P.S.

Back to reading in the pool school.

Take a sample of your well water to a pool store and ask them to check for pH, TA, CH and iron. Pool stores may or may not be accurate, but without your own kit that you KNOW is accurate, it is still better than nothing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I stopped by the local water softener place while in town on Wed and they said they would test my water for free.

Thinking I might take 2 samples and let the pool place test one, the lady in there was extremely confident that she could get consistant and accurate test results with her test strips.

You should have seen the looks she gave me when I told her the things I had learned on here....lol

Hey everyone,

Well I have done tons and tons of reading here and have learned alot...Thanks.

I found a Hayward widemouth skimmer at the local pool place for a few bucks more than the Intex version I was going to buy from Wally-World, so going with that instead.

Now from what I have read keeping the chlorine level where it will have to be is going to be too expensive for this size pool, so I am thinking I would be better off going with a SWCG, (one time expense, + some liquid from time to time), anyway has anyone used this unit from Wally-World?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Krystal ... gMethod=rr

It is more in our price range if it works and will hold up for a few years.

Input/Suggestions?

Thanks

There are a lot of people using that unit. It's a goods unit you just have to unhook the copper bars when you get it. They just unplug so it's easy to do.

I am one of those people bama mentioned. I have gotten 2 seasons so far out of the one I have. Definitely disconnect the copper bars (the electrode on the outlet end of the unit).

Just a side note, and not to discourage you from a swg, but I think your comment might be a little misjudged:
Samantha Sabrina said:
Now from what I have read keeping the chlorine level where it will have to be is going to be too expensive for this size pool, so I am thinking I would be better off going with a SWCG, (one time expense, + some liquid from time to time), anyway has anyone used this unit from Wally-World?
Generally the expense of LC/bleach and the cost of a swg will offset each other...especially when a bargain hunter like yourself finds the bleach deals. I estimate about $80/year to chlorinate my pool for about four months and yours and mine are similar in size. To get this price, I am generally able to get 12.5% LC locally for $2/gallon. Maybe with the intex swg if we are able to get three years from it would be cheaper (though I haven't calculated the energy cost into the equation). If you were to go with LC/bleach I do not think you would break the bank for your 22 footer, with the appropriate amount of cya in there, and not letting the FC drop to where you get algae regularly, etc.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies and info.

@ Linen,

Thanks for the cost comparison, that gives me food for thought, lol.

Around here we have been checking prices on liquid bleach at different places when we go out shopping, and so far we haven’t found any 12.5% that cheap, about the best price we have found thus far is the regular laundry bleach, (Wal-Mart brand) @ $2.97 a gallon.

Also we live about 30 miles from town, and are on a very low and fixed income so making extra trips for LC, or having to spend a lot at one time to stock up, is not always an option, we are having to really pinch pennies in order to get the new pool and everything to get it up and running as it is, luckily so far we have been able to catch some great sale prices on what we need.

We caught a nice 10’ x 10’ metal shed on sale last month, and going to get the foam on sale tomorrow, it is only ½’ thick, but it should work great for $4.99 per sheet.

On top of that we put in a water softener 2 years ago and we do like the feel of the water when we shower and bath, so I think adding salt to the pool will be something we would enjoy, so if we are going to add the salt then we are thinking go ahead and get the SWCG and let that handle the LC for us.

When we had the 16’ Quick Set we were able to go out and get in the pool during the day and not run the AC in the house so the cost of running the pumps was nothing by comparison.

I had the Intex pump to circulate the water thru the filter plus another pump pushing water thru the solar heater we built.

We are also going to relocate the solar heater after a complete rebuild of that, so it is on the sun side of the pool, and then thinking about how to build a light weight sunscreen to help shade the pool, as it is the pool would have direct sunlight for almost all day, (nice when we need to warm the water, not so much once it gets there), plus that will help save on the LC.

Gonna take a couple of water samples from the well and house with us tomorrow and have them tested to see what else we might need up front.

One question while I am rattling, lol…where is the best place to buy salt test strips?

Thanks

linen said:
To get this price, I am generally able to get 12.5% LC locally for $2/gallon.
Made a mistake here, I meant $2.5/gallon :hammer: My total is still right around $80 per season though (I had that part right).

I personally have not noticed much difference between salt and non-salt for the feel, but my wife does. Also, a neighbor has some eczema issues, and I have heard comments that our pool water seems to sooth and not cause a reaction that typically is experienced in swimming pools? Definitely not scientific...and we also have borates.

Samantha Sabrina said:
One question while I am rattling, lol…where is the best place to buy salt test strips?
I got my last batch from tftestkits.com

Linen,

Again thanks so much for the quick response and info.

Giggles, doncha just hate having those blonde moments, or in my case both blonde and old timers...lol

Great I will be ordering my test kit in another week and will add those to the list while I am at it...

Thanks

Hey everyone,

Well we went to town today and bought the foam to go under the new pool, got it on sale for $4.99 per sheet....that is out the door... :cool: and actually it was lower than that...the farm supply store gives us 10% back on a rewards kinda card each Wed, and I already had a couple of dollars on it, so I bought the first 13 sheets, got the 10% for that purchase then I had more than enough to buy the other 2 sheets, and then got 10% of that purchase put back on the card...it was only .99 cents but every penny counts these days. :whoot:

Anyway while we were up that way I took some water samples from our well and the house, (after water softener), first I stopped in at a Culligan Water Center, the only thing they do in the store is a hardness test, (you have to get a sales rep to pay you a visit to get anything more), so their resuls were...

Well = 16 gpg
House = 15 gpg

I watched the girl do the test and she schewed the house test, the first thing she put in the water sample was a powder, and she put more in the house test than the well test.

The second stop was the local pool store, (mom & pop), and they used test strips but here are the numbers, (she said house and well were exactly the same so...

PH = 7.8
ALK = 180
Chlorine = 0
Hardness = 250

While I was there I priced some chemicals, they have a 4 gallon case of 12.5% for $13.49, that comes to $3.3725 per gallon, considering that is 12.5% I think that is a good price?

I asked her how old it was and she said they get new stuff n everyday...either they only buy small amunts at a time or she was feeding me a line, lol.

She has the 8 lb dry Clarifier for $21.99, 1.5 lb for $4.99, and then she has the liquid, (or she called it "Instant") for $23.99 a gallon, she said 1 gallon would treat a 10k pool, so do those prices sound good or is there a better deal to be had?

Thanks

Just to make sure I am clear in my mind Clarifier does = CYA right?

Also the pool lady said she has pucks that have no fillers, but also has Borates included, which the other pucks don't, does this sound right?

She also said Borates help to fight algae, is this correct?

Thanks

Samantha Sabrina said:
Just to make sure I am clear in my mind Clarifier does = CYA right?
Nope, that is incorrect.

Also the pool lady said she has pucks that have no fillers, but also has Borates included, which the other pucks don't, does this sound right?
Um, Nope.

She also said Borates help to fight algae, is this correct?Well, yeah! But you do not want to add borates until all other things are in balance and in very good order!

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.