Pool resurfacing

Apr 17, 2012
Hello,

This is my first post. I have been reading and reading and reading - but it all becomes overwhelming when your knowledge base is limited. We are new to pool ownership, this will be our second full season running our pool. The year that we bought pool looked fine - white - cement - inground - kinda ugly, but fine. Then we drained below our lines for the winter and when we opened again in summer the paint had all flaked off in large chunks. Under the paint/plaster (Very well could be house paint on the top layer) is a blue coating (I am assuming the gunite) and under the blue I can see some spots that have chipped to the cement. Last year we knew we would have to fix the problem, so we drained at the end of season to nearly empty. Then watched over winter as all the white flaked and flaked some more!

Anyways, we have had a company in to quote. Sandblasting to prep and remove all the white substance leaving behind the blue layer (again - gunite?). They quoted $12K for a Aquafin paint job. This isn't even in my realm of acknowledgment. From there it was an epoxy paint for epoxy paint for $6500 and a chlorinated paint for $5000. Honestly - NONE of these options are worth our consideration. We mainly had someone in to see what we could do to fix it - then we planned on doing the fix ourselves. Although we are not pool experienced - we ARE very handy/diy experienced. AND, most importantly it is what our budget permits. We are in Canada (in case quote seemed exorbitant). Everyone seems to shy away on the forums from the rubber paint and also from the epoxy paint. And maybe from ANY paint. By my description above does it sound like we need to replaster? Is that the only options? Paint (crappy), plaster or pebble? Are either of the other two options DIY-able? And if we choose to just do a fix for now with a coat of paint - can it go directly on top of the blue surface? And if so - what paint?

I can only assume that a plaster job would run me $12K or more as well. And that really is not feasible right now. We are not going to be able to use the pool this year as is. Even last year we would be swimming with large flakes of paint. This year it is the entire pool that is flaking apart, clogging everything.

Hope I explained myself sufficiently and I hope someone can advise us on our immediate goal!

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! Sorry you couldn't arrive under better circumstances!
You're right that painting again is a bad idea - you've seen what happens! As for what to do now, I'd probably try to get all of the loose paint off (maybe with a pressure washer) and then just leave it until you can fit a plaster job into the budget. An ugly surface won't hurt anything; the exposed concrete might leak a tiny bit of water but not enough to worry about.

Plaster is cheaper, but does not last as long a pebble ... you pay more for the longer lasting aggregate products. And both are typically not DIY projects.

$12k (what is the exchange rate now?) seems awfully high for a paint job. For our pool, getting aggregate and all new tile was less than $11k. I think plaster was closer to $7k ... of course it depends on pool size, etc.

$12k (what is the exchange rate now?) Some where with in a few cents either way ;)

Yeah - it feels high to me, but I am admittedly cheap. I bet it is accurate for where we live. I would love tile and aggregate (and a new apron while we are at it) so maybe it is just best to wait for the major overhaul that will one day have to happen.

Hey, I just replastered my pool but went direct to the plasterer and skipped the middle man (pool company)....I checked on http://www.npconline.org/index.php?opti ... icle&id=37
Which is the National Plasterers Council and got a quote that was $8K versus $12K for a 20x40 pool. I am completely happy with my end results and I got Quartzscapes (diamondbrite plaster with some aqua quartz mixed in.) ALSO, get a quote from them direct before going to the pool companies to get a quote....most of them are the subcontractors on the jobs the pool company bid on and won't quote a job if they've already provided a quote on the same pool for the pool company...that's their bread and butter! So don't make the same mistake I did and get a a bunch of quotes from pool companies and then get a quote from the plasterers last. Go to the plasterers first for quotes. Hope its lower.

mrswhitsie said:
Go to the plasterers first for quotes. Hope its lower.

:goodjob:

There are actually few installers licensed for Pebbletech ... (only one in Tucson I think). We happened to go directly with them and then learned that they are the subs for all the other pool companies ... which of course had higher quotes so they could get their cut.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.