Pump Run Time

It will only hurt your wallet.

What pump do you have? A 2-speed allows you to run on low speed 24/7 for less electricity cost than running a 1-speed 8 hours.

If you are getting algae, then you must not be testing and maintaining your FC at the appropriate level based on your CYA level. What do you use to add chlorine to your pool?

If you post up a full set of test results, we can help get you squared away before summer. For now, you may want to review the Pool School link in my signature.

Well, my fairly large pump runs, on average, eight hours daily and it's enough to keep the pool clean. I pay around 11 cents per kwh and that pump sucks up 2kw each hour or 22 cents hourly

So, at eight hours daily, that works out around 50 dollars a month give or take. Running 24/7 would work about to about $150/month.

I would just as soon keep my $100 bucks to spend on an adult beverage from time to time

Yeah, there is definitely something wrong with your pool if you're running your pump that much and still have algae. Do you have a salt pool? If not, it might be worth investing so that your chlorine levels stay consistent. I run mine 8 hours per day and it's more than enough to keep the pool sparkling. You are definitely wasting money by running your pump 24/7, unless you get one of those new inteliflow pump. But sounds like the bigger problem is algae control.

Thanks, guys. About the algae: Had to close early last year due to algae. I just wanted to get all my Q's asked and answered before I began the " Swamp to Oasis" process...lol. Getting it filled up w/ water now and should begin shock and awe next week if weather holds out (been raining a lot...ugh). My first time trying the BBB, so I'm doing a lil freakin' out. But hopefully I will have my oasis soon!!

Do you have good test kit? A good test kit with a fas-dpd chlorine test will be needed, see link in my sig...I like the tf100, best bang for buck. It sounds like you have been reading the swamp to oasis post. Make sure you read the rest of poolschool (link in upper right of this page).

>Jason: Didn't sound short...exactly how tall are you? Ha Ha Ha! :lol:

>linen: Just got my Taylor tf100 Complete Test Kit the other day...YAY! Boy, does it seem confusing! And I have read almost this entire site! I'm driving my friends nuts spewing out pool info for the last week...lol. :cool:

>All others answering my pump Q: My pump (of which kind I have no clue) only pulls about $25 bucks a month running 24/7. Worth it to me just to have my pool stay free of the leaves and sweet gum balls that drop in it almost daily...silly tree. :?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A filter collects the dead algae and nasties. You need to maintain the proper FC level based upon your CYA level and bather load to kill algae and other nasties. Running your pump/filter without killing the algae/nasties really isn't going to protect you. Usually 1 turnover a day is sufficient to keep the water clean. (Pool size (gal)/Flowrate (GPH) will give you an estimate of how long you need to run your pump then increase or decrease from that point till you get the water sparkling.) http://www.poolcaculator.com can help in getting the correct water chemical balance.

What do you guys think the optimal times would be for runtime?

For example for a 12 hr run time during daytime (ex 8am - 8pm)? or nighttime (ex 8pm - 8am)? What do you think would be best, if it matters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.