Umbrella in sun shelf pros/cons

we have one in ours and it's awesome to be able to provide shade during the hot part of the day.

+1 on the wood pole. we bought umbrella's with metal/aluminum posts

you might also having them place randomly on your deck as well.

good luck!

Most if not all patio umbrellas have the same diameter pole in respect to the over all size of the umbrella 9', 10', etc. the three we have all have aluminum poles and are the same size. They all came from seperate stores; two from sam's, one from wal mart. One is a 9 footer and the others may be a 9 as well. One is market style the other two are not so they look diff sizes to me.

Ok..so the pool company is coming out tomorrow to drill our gunnited shelf...is this just supposed to be a 'waterproofed' hole or should they be putting in some sort of insert with a cap? How deep is the hole supposed to be so that the umbrella doesn't tip over? Thanks..

Kristina said:
Ok..so the pool company is coming out tomorrow to drill our gunnited shelf...is this just supposed to be a 'waterproofed' hole or should they be putting in some sort of insert with a cap? How deep is the hole supposed to be so that the umbrella doesn't tip over? Thanks..

we love ours and we got it exactly right

1) know where the sun rises and sets for optimal placement
2) people will hit their head on it as they walk by (it will be lower than if it is in a normal stand because the shelf is below the deck) so try to place it so it doesnt overhang the deck. for us this meant moving it closer to the steps and away from the coping.
3) our builder didnt do this, but my neighbors insert has a pvc ring sleeve around the edge that overlaps with the plaster. Mine just cut some PVC pipe which doesnt look very nice

http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/best ... US103/5840

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ours was created by inserting a capped 1 1/2" PVC pipe prior to gunnite and then plastered in. It works great. I don't keep the umbrella in the insert - only when in use. The paint eventually wears off the aluminum pole, so minimizing it's exposure is best. The insert works great. If you don't have your pool plastered, have them drill a hole and insert the PVC pipe and then add some concrete to the bottom of the pipe. Inserts work the best. You won't have to worry about any gunnite issues.

My pool builder drilled me a 1 1/2 inch wide hole 6 inch deep. Told him dont think that dimensions are going to work. I just spoke to aquastar pool supply and they said sleeve only fits a 2 inch umbrella. I asked if a smaller would fit they said made for 2 inch. She did not seem to have a lot of info on product so I am wondering if anyone else has product and can tell me if can hold a thinner 1 1/2 inch with out any issues. Is the umbrela suppose to stay snug as to avoid lifting up? Thanks

I imagine a smaller pole will still work. If it wobbles to much for your liking I'm sure you can just insert a section of PVC pipe to act as a bushing.

FWIW, tractor supply has an awesome 11'er right now with a 1.88" pole for just $95. Yes, I said 11 feet!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.