faux rock refinishing

Iciee

Jul 5, 2011
phoenix
Anyone know what kind of paint or materials to use when refinishing some faux rocks that I have around my pool and what our waterfall is made of. Or is it better just to hire someone to do it? Here are the pics I uploaded
IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

I just bought a foreclosure where apparently *they* spent all their equity on the pool. Not that I mind, I like to think I bought a pool with a house. Anyways, my rock looks exactly like yours. I've been told to use BEHR concrete stain. There are opaque and semi-transparent versions.

When I find the time, I want to try coating the worst areas with opaque. Blend with semi-transparent. Finally, splatter some opaque to complete the blend. I'm thinking of using a hand-pump spray bottle for splatter.

These are my plans. Maybe by posting this it'll force me to actually try it. I'll post any results, but I can say for sure, it won't be before June.

PiratesLoveBacon said:
I just bought a foreclosure where apparently *they* spent all their equity on the pool. Not that I mind, I like to think I bought a pool with a house. Anyways, my rock looks exactly like yours. I've been told to use BEHR concrete stain. There are opaque and semi-transparent versions.

When I find the time, I want to try coating the worst areas with opaque. Blend with semi-transparent. Finally, splatter some opaque to complete the blend. I'm thinking of using a hand-pump spray bottle for splatter.

These are my plans. Maybe by posting this it'll force me to actually try it. I'll post any results, but I can say for sure, it won't be before June.

Are you going to do anything prior to applying the Behr stain?

I tried cleaning with diluted muriatic. Didn't do much. I increased the strength and it started taking the paint completely off!

Other than a simple cleaning, I'm not planning on doing anything else. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Also, can anyone recommend a sealant to put over the stain?

Well Found a guy on CL that builds waterfalls and ended up redoing the paint on ours. I like it when people post outcomes or conclusions so I am trying to do my part and here are the after pics. Dont mind the dirty water, got real dirty when he was working on it (he warned me ahead of time). Guy drained about 2" of pool water so he could touch up the bottom of the ones touching the water and I lowered the water level now so it is not so high. Let me know what you think. I had him lighten the color he had it a bit too dark originally for my taste. Oh yeah I know there is over spray on the deck I am having it all removed and redone next week
IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

That is a big improvement! Thank you for following up with pictures! Did you find out, by any chance, what type of paint he used? And was it applied with a pump-sprayer, airless, or rattle-can??'

On a side note, I am glad he is cleaning up the over-spray. Hopefully it teaches him that proper masking is MUCH FASTER than cleaning up over-spray. (I had a house painting business for 5 years, and learned that lesson very quickly)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
he first painted them white (probably primer) with a pump sprayer (such you would use for spraying weeds). He said it was water based paint/tint and I saw him use about 4 different ones. As far as the overspray goes I told him not to worry about the deck and just cover the pebble edge since it was all getting chipped away next week). He had them in a squeeze bottle and would squirt them in the sprayer and mixed with water until he got the shade he was looking for

That looks great!

My takeaways:

1. It is okay to only partially drain the pool. I was worried that I was fooling myself thinking that could be done.
2. Use weed spraying bottles! Much better than hand pump.

BTW - I was considering a lighter color too. My pool is saltwater and has waterfalls. It seems like the lighter color will help hide the buildup/scale that is bound to happen. Also should keep the surface cooler in the summer sun (my kids love to climb all over the rocks).

Thanks Iciee!!

Rock Painter said:

I have a slide similar to yours. What is your slide made out of?

And by the way, for everyone else, I have the EXACT same problem with my rocks around my pool. I would LOVE to get a product that will actually WORK and not fade every year. I've looked at permaflex which is santitread.com and pondarmour.com both of which seem to mean I can't get the color I want.

Did anyone solve this problem? Did the BEHR stain work properly?

well its been a year and several of the rocks have start flaking off. It looks like the rocks themselves are wearing away and with it the paint that was on them . Guess I will need to see about getting a new layer of what ever the stuff is they are made of put on :rant:

well its been a year and several of the rocks have start flaking off. It looks like the rocks themselves are wearing away and with it the paint that was on them . Guess I will need to see about getting a new layer of what ever the stuff is they are made of put on :rant:

They use a semi-permeable acrylic paint. Where in the world you get that I'm not sure. I've looked. If you find please post. I had my rocks repainted, it has lasted about 10 years, but I remember asking them while they were painting, if I ever needed to touch it up myself, but have never been able to find any anywhere.

My waterfall is 25 years old and with the Tucson sun and heat it has a lot of cracks and white buildup from the water flow evaporating. I am using white spray "Flex-Seal" sprayable flexible rubber coating. After it dries I am using "Parker Coatings Inc." (available at Bas Pro Shop or Cabelas) "dead grass" color (light tan) flat camouflage paint (designed for continuous water exposure) as a base coat, and then "Krylon® DIY Series™ Coarse Stone Texture Paint" as a top coat. the Flex-Seal filled the cracks in the stone well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.