At what temperature should I open my pool?

Oct 18, 2007
Cedar Hill, TN
Hi All! This will be my first year with the BBB method. We converted to it late last fall, right in time to put the cover on. Now I don't know how long I can wait before adding new bleach tokeep it as nice as it finally got after the conversion.

Right now the outside temperature is still around the high 60 to low 70 during the day, and high 40 to high 50 at night.
When does algea start growing even in a covered pool? Or can I wait until the oak seedpots and green seeds are finished falling?

(I can't wait to see the pool open again!!! My big floaty is waiting for me, even if the water isn't warm enough to swim. It's so relaxing to float and read, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, a glass of iced tea, some music in the back ground, .....)

The important number is the water temperature. When the water temperature gets to somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees it is time to open the pool. You can put it off longer than that, but the chances of having an algae problem on opening increase as the water gets warmer.

Pulled back my mesh cover to check on things and the GREEN MONSTER is showing itself on a few spots. Water is 42 degrees. Paying for those warm days in March!

Strung a floater in the deep end to try and slow the algae. We usually open in mid April for two reasons:

1- prevent a green swamp in the backyard

2- very important,, tired of seeing the green cover,, reminds my of potential swamp underneath.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.