Vacuuming

Apr 4, 2012
In the article "Turning Your Green Swamp Back Into a Sparkling Oasis", you do not mention any vacuuming. I am assuming if it is vacuumed it will disturb the water balance due to adding new water? Sooooo, am I not supposed to vac it until the water is totally clean, clear, and balanced? And my pool is very much a green swamp!

Welcome to TFP!

Vacuuming may not be mentioned, but it is a great idea. The only real issue is that you usually can't see the bottom, so it will be impossible to be sure you vacuumed everywhere. That is a disadvantage, but vacuuming is still a great idea despite that.

Before you vacuum, you will want to use a leaf rake, or skimmer net, to try and bring up as much large debris from the bottom as possible. Doing this is very important and will also make vacuuming much more practical.

Thanks so much. I am going to vac as soon as I refill pool to vac level...BEFORE I begin the shocking process. Thinking that will not disrupt the chem levels after I begin shocking due to having to add new water when the water lvl drops from the vac-ing. Once I get the chem lvls straight, I will vac again if needed and retest. Hope that's a good idea. I'm about to bulldoze the thing!!! ugh

OK...hopefully I will be able to see a little in the pool tomorrow or Thursday. I'm thinking I may need to vac soon. When I vac, I vac to waste, so when I return new water to the pool, the levels will be messed up again. My Q is: When should I vac? Should I wait until I do the overnight algae test and make sure it is all dead? When the water is totally clear? Or should I just brush the bottom over and over until the skimmer gets it all (which I figure should be next year sometime...lol)?

Thanks, Duraleigh. I did vac before I started, but just couldn't get it all. Now, it's just the algae on the bottom and along the bottom edge of the sides, but there's loads of it. I despise vacuuming when I don't have a crystal clear view!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.