Is there any truth to this?

May 17, 2011
Montgomery, TX
I saw this posted on another board and was wondering if anyone has tried this or if there is any truth to this theory:

High Cyanuric Acid

I have not tried this yet. But do you know that Cyanuric Acid has a specific gravity of 2.5? Water has a specific gravity of 1.
If this is correct according to the MSDS sheet, it seems that the best way ot dilute is to turn your filter off for about three days. this will allow your chemicals to seperate. The Cyanuric Acid should settle to the bottom of your pool. At this point you should remove some water from the bottom to reduce the levels. This may reduce the amount of water that must be removed. I will let you know what happens.

I don't know the specific gravity of chlorine exactly (around 1.25 maybe) but it does not settle to the bottom of the pool.

What is VERY likely to happen in your climate at this time of year is an algae bloom without any circulation for three days. :shock: :shock:

Does salt settle out of saltwater? It this theory were true there would be salt settling to the bottom of the sea.

And calcium would settle out too.
Just about everything has a solubility rate in water, so NO to the above.

I had read somewhere that CYA would precipitate at 33 degrees, so I tried an experiment with a large jar of water containing 150 ppm of CYA setting in a refrigerator. After 7 days, no precipitation.
Chem geek, what are your thoughts on this?

Once the water is throughly mixed, it will remain throughly mixed and chemical levels for things like salt, CH, Borates, and CYA will remain uniform throughout the pool. Some of the other levels can vary a bit, for example sunlight consumes chlorine and the water near the top of the pool gets more sunlight than the deeper water, so there will often be temporary differences in FC level between water at different depths.

The water can become separated into two areas with different level for a while if you add additional water. If you add water fairly gently without the pump running you can often create a temporary separation where the new water and the old water have not mixed yet. This situation can remain stable for some time (again given that the pump is never run). Once the pump has been running for a little while everything will again be throughly mixed and remain mixed.

One other, quite rare, exception is if your circulation pattern is especially poorly setup and you don't have a main drain. In rare cases the water at the bottom of the deep end can fail to mix with the rest of the water, even with the pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.