How long to run pump? #'s good, algae dead, but still cloudy

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
I have never had algae killed so fast like I did this year. Removed cover, water was dark green, started dumping the bleach in and by that evening, there was absolutely no sign of green! That was 4 days ago. #'s are perfect, chlorine is holding (I'm keeping it at shock level), but water is still a bit cloudy. I can just barely see the vacuum on the bottom of the pool when vacuuming and brushing now. I added a bit of DE to the filter and that is helping. Also added a bit of clarifier 2 days ago and am brushing twice a day.

Question is: Do I need to keep the pump running 24/7 until it's completely clear?

Re: How long to run pump? #'s good, algae dead, but still cl

Yes. You should actually continue the shock process (which based on your post I am not sure you are doing) until the water is clear, your CC are less than 0.5, and you pass the overnight chlorine loss test.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

jblizzle said:
Yes. You should actually continue the shock process (which based on your post I am not sure you are doing) until the water is clear, your CC are less than 0.5, and you pass the overnight chlorine loss test.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

I am continuing the shock process. all my #'s have been great and are staying great. when I start to see the chlorine go down the slightest bit, I'm pouring in chlorine. It seems to be holding at shock level pretty well. I know my filter is working because I backwash at night and in the morning I have to backwash again because the pressure goes up to the point that the water coming out of the return is weak.

I couldn't remember if the clarifier made the stuff sink and if I shouldn't be running the filter 24/7 or if it just made it all kind of bind together to get sucked into the filter better.

I know my filter is working because I backwash at night and in the morning I have to backwash again because the pressure goes up to the point that the water coming out of the return is weak.
That is sort of your answer. The only way you can get that gunk out of your pool water is to filter it out (usually, clarifiers are not much help)and, of course, you must run your pump to do that.

Backwashing when you get a 25% psi increase will help, rather than wait for your returns to get weak. A larger filter helps this part of the process, too, so your filter may be somewhat undersized but what you are reporting is fairly common here on the forum....it just takes time....(and running the pump!) :lol:

PS - Nice work on getting your green algae killed!!

Well, I ended up adding some more clarifier and what a HUGE improvement from last night! I could totally see the bottom. The return also wasn't weak like it has been, so that alone tells me that I'm coming into the homestretch. I think by tomorrow it should be completely clear.

Thanks again! This was THE fastest pool opening ever. :whoot:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.