Can I avoid fixing Booster Pump with Variable Speed Motor?

Dec 25, 2011
Charleston, SC
I have a Booster Pump that the pool guy says is leaking. He wants to order a new one to replace it. BUT, I heard on a post of mine that I could avoid installing a booster pump altogether if I have a Variable Speed Pump. Is this true? And if so, do I need to upsize it to take into account the fact that I will still need a pressure side cleaner?

ALSO, how can I find out if I can simply fix my leak on my booster pump versus installing a brand new one?

Thanks!

Re: Can I avoid fixing Booster Pump with Variable Speed Moto

Where is it leaking? I usually see them leak either at the shaft seal or the front housing. Both are easily replaceable and a lot cheaper than a whole new pump.

As long as the booster pump is in good condition, it probably only needs a new seal (P55) and O-ring (P95).

Also, a variable speed pump would not be a good substitute for a cleaner designed to run on a booster pump.

Can you post a picture of the pump?

You know what! It does appear to be leaking only! Hmmm....I am a little wary now. What if I do not need a pump. I am pointing to where it is leaking. How would I know if the pump needs to be replaced?

Attachments

• IMAG0739.jpg
    IMAG0739.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0737.jpg
    IMAG0737.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMAG0740.jpg
    IMAG0740.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 58

Yeah that has nothing to do with the pump itself. That should be a quick PVC fix.

With that said, it's an older pump and if any parts fail, you may have issues finding parts. Not something I would worry about right now though. What I would make a project out of is getting some conduit to put that power wire in.

Most pool cleaners that are specifically designed to work with a booster pump will not work with a variable speed pump and no booster pump. They require the special high pressure low flow rate that a booster pump provides and will not work with the lower pressure and much higher flow rate a variable speed pump has.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.