Help Please Solar Installer Nervous & Confused PS8 v GL235

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Hi,

I know we have been around the block with this once before..I am sorry. My solar installer is ready to bail out on me.

I informed him yesterday that we were not going to use the GL-235 controller he provides with his typical installs. I told him we will purchasing the PS-8 kit online which includes the SWG and actuator valves. I told him I called Goldline direct today and confirmed that we would not need the GL-235 if we purchased the PS-8. He wants me to confirm what actually is included with the PS-8 kit and if it has the same exact components as the GL-235. I thought I did that by calling GL today, but seems he did not like my answer. He told me he will not be responsible for the SWG & control panel working, which I agree will be the electrican and the pool installer responsability (for a price), except that I expect him to insure the solar part is working 100%. He did mumble something about having to work on control panel when I bought it somewhere else and he makes no $$ off of it. I can give him $75 which is what his markup would have been and take a $250 credit instead. He told me he would not do it w/out knowing what parts come with the PS-8 kit. I told him again that my sister out in San Diego has the PS-8 with no separate GL-235 control and her system works fine. I guess this is what you get when your pool installer does not do solar and when your solar installer does not do pools...uugghhh!! I finally had all systems "go", but seems I have another glitch. Please help me.

Any manuals or specs sheets I can send this guy or even tell me what is included with the GL-235 so I can see that it is included with the PS-8 complete kit?

I have the PS-8 with solar and SWG and you don't need anything extra for solar except for an extra temp sensor that goes with panels. You can get the manual online here.

mas985, would the PS-8 switch a 2spd pump to high when solar is engaged and switch to low after flow is established. Thinking about adding solar. I really don't need all the functions of the PS-8, just want to control solar and pump.

I wonder if he is worried about the controller software/user interface being different, or if he is worried that the three way valve, actuator, and/or solar panel temperature sensor, which are often bundled with the GL-235, may not be there when he gets there? The PS-8 includes all the functions of the GL-235, but the user interface is a little different and that could be a little confusing the first time around. Likewise, it wouldn't be good if he showed up and the temperature sensor that goes on the panel wasn't there and the temperature sensor he uses with the GL-235 wouldn't work. The solar temperature sensor is included with the PS-8 unit according to the manual.

DaveNJ said:
mas985, would the PS-8 switch a 2spd pump to high when solar is engaged and switch to low after flow is established. Thinking about adding solar. I really don't need all the functions of the PS-8, just want to control solar and pump.

The controller will run on high for 3 minutes and then switch to low speed when requested but you may not be able to run the solar on low speed or even want to. If you will be placing the panels on top of a two story house, it would be unlikely that the vacuum release would stay closed on low speed because of the pressure drop and once opened, the panels will drain again and low speed doesn't have enough head to re-prime. Also, panels usually require a certain flow rate for full efficiency which the low speed may not provide.

I didn't think I would need all of the relays and switches that the PS-8 offers but I ended up using most of them. With the wireless remote, it is nice to have control of all the features, settings and landscape lighting in one control. I think you will appreciate those features in the long run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.