Pump Upgrade

Apr 15, 2012
South Dakota
I just bought a house with a 25K gallon in ground pool. I am interested in upgrading to a variable speed pump but am unsure what would be compatible. I do like the reviews I have read on the Hayward EcoStar but I am not sure if it would be a direct replacement.

Currently the pool as a M Centurion for Pac Fab
3/4HP
1.67SF
RPM 3450
HZ 60
Volts 208-230/115

I believe the filter is sand. PackFab SuperFlow PF-50.

Thank you

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing to check is to make sure you have the correct voltage and enough amps available to run a variable speed pump. Your current pump can be wired for either 120 volts or 240 volts. The variable speeds all require 240 volts. The variable speed will also draw a noticeably higher peak current. Check what kind and amp rating is on the pump circuit breaker. 240 volt circuit breakers have two levers connected by a bar, while 120 volt breakers have a single lever. A variable speed will tend to require 240 volts at 30 amps.

A variable speed pump will also be physically larger than your current pump. Most of the time this is not an issue, but if your pump is right next to something it could be an issue.

Variable speed pumps are only really worth it in money saved terms if your current electric rates are $0.20/kwh or higher. If your electric rates are below that, you should look into the possibility of getting a two speed pump, or just replacing the motor on your current pump with a two speed motor.

I am going to upgrade the main electrical box and I would make sure there is enough power to run a new pump. We move a month from today so I will have to check what the current breaker is for the existing pool pump. I will have to check the clearance since it is next to a garage. I saw a picture of a Jandy Variable pump and it looks huge compaired to a Pentair.

Energy Charge per (kilowatt-hour) kWh: June through September (summer) $0.06931.

Still need to confirm whether you are set up for 120 or 240. Also, what are your suction and return pipe diameters? Pentair whisperflo and superflo are nice.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

I was told the electrical box was only 60 AMPs so I need to have it upgraded when we move in next month. I need to get over there and check the diameters of the pipes.

Currently there is a 3/4 hp but when I run the Hayward Energy Calculator they use a 2hp. Should upgrade to a 2HP if I do have a 25K gallon?

The house is 60 amps or your pool pad box is 60 amps? My pool pad is currently 20 amps.

The pump size depends on you pool setup. If it is just a basic pool with no spa or water features then a 3/4 or 1 HP 2 speed should be plenty.

Edit: I saw most of my questions were previously answered. I think 2 HP is way too big for the basic setup.
Posted with Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.